Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Dennis Farina dies at 69

The ending of the first season of Crime Story is one of the greatest of all time, ("I found this place in the desert...")

He was born on leap day 1944 so actually he was only 17.

Edited by: sfpcc1 on Jul 22, 2013 3:17 PM

Loved him on *Crime Story* and thought he did a good job replacing the un-replaceable Jerry Orhbach on *Law and Order*.

His recent acting (usually with Dustin Hoffman) on HBO's *Luck* showed just what a fine actor he had become.

How very sad. Dead at 69 of a blood clot. He was one of my favorite actors and he was so good at what he appeared in. In all the shows mentioned and loved him in "Get Shorty" as Ray "Bones" Barboni and "Snatch" as Cousin Avi. Always though he bought a certain style that reminded me of some of the old time actors, bad guy or good guy. Before acting he server 18 years with the Chicago Police Dept. .

Edited by: fredbaetz on Jul 22, 2013 4:53 PM

So Sorry to hear about this! I just learned about this HERE and then had to Wiki it.

What a character actor! Equally adept at drama or comedy, movies or television.

He seemed very personable and classy. How cool would dinner with Dennis Farina have been?

Of all his work, the one I think of first is the Tim Allen movie BIG TROUBLE. An underrated gem!

RIP Dennis Farina. Thank you for your contribution to movies and TV. My sympathies to his family and friends.

Thanks for creating this thread, Filmlover. As I said, this where I learned of Dennis Farina's death.

I mentioned Big Trouble, but I also remember him in Manhunter, another underrated gem that I actually preferred to Silence of the Lambs.

You have a great day and obviously thank you for all your contributions to these Message Boards and Fan Community.

Mark London Ontario.

I don't recall ever seeing CRIME STORY. In fact, I don't recall WHERE I first saw Farina, but it seems I always felt better when he showed up in anything. He could steal a scene just by walking on, he had that about him.

Gonna miss him for sure. Glad there's reruns and recordings of the movies he was in. He was great in *Get Shorty* .

Sepiatone

The ending of the first season of Crime Story is one of the greatest of all time, ("I found this place in the desert...")

Since television is the new movies on TCM, I'll add my sorrow at his very early demise.

That was the first season, sfpcc1? I thought it was the series finale when he and Paulie walked through the nuclear explosion (wacky show) and survived.

Ah, Crime Story. That was back when television didn't vomit up faux reality shows and movie channels showed movies.

Although yesterday there was an EXCELLENT movie with an actress I've never seen before, Gladys George, in Madame X (not the POG with Turner) with Warren William. Amazing actress, dead at 50, with one of the most beautiful men in movies, Warren William, dead at 53. The good really do die young.

Sadly, it was followed by a HUGE POG, Fear, which sadly Warren lowered himself to appear in. But hey, one gem a day out of 70 or 80 ain't bad for TCM these days.

wbf- You've never seen Gladys George before? You've never seen *The Matese Falcon* *The Best Years Of Our Lives* *The Roaring Twenties* *Marie Antonette* *The Hard Way* ???

These are ALL films shown on TCM and very famous classic films that Gladys George was in.

A few weeks before his untimely death, I watch Farina in a small independent film called "The Last Rites of Joe May". He played a small time hustler who's trying to make it big. A wonderful and moving performance by him and the entire cast. It was on Netflix streaming. If you get a chance, do yourself a favor and watch a fine actor give a beautiful piece of work...

I had a Gym teacher in 9th grade who kind of looked like Dennis Farina, (I'm not a fan of Gym but I'm Diabetic so the jokes on me.) Spoiler Alert There was a second season of Crime Story. A lot of it took place in Mexico. It ended with Torello and Luca fighting on a plane. Paulie the moron shoots the pilot and the plane goes down, end of series. Did you know the Julia Roberts was on an episode before she made Mystic Pizza, Steel Magnolias, and Pretty Woman. Whatever happened to John Santucci? (Paulie) He was on an episode of Wiseguy, (Stephen J Channel's best show)and a Dweizel Zappa video and that was about it.