Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I'm new and confused about adding videos/pictures etc

Bluehowler

> {quote:title=Bluehowler wrote:}{quote}

> Hi, I"m a little confused, how can I post my favorite videos and pictures without breaking copyright rules?

The first part is easy: I believe it is not possible to embed videos in this forum and so the most which you can do is include a link to the video. A link does not violate copyright as you are not making a copy of the video here. It is the responsibility of the site to which you are linking to determine copyright.

Having a picture appear in the post is much more difficult. Due diligence is to check the site on which the image appears for copyright notices and to note any attributions for specific images. It is possible at times to find reference to Gnu license. I suggest you research that on your own as I can not explain it well. A person should look closely also at the largest instance of that image to see if there is a copyright notice watermarked or inserted onto the image.

It may be very inappropriate but my method is to use Google Image search. If I see that the image appears on more than a hundred sites which are not related to each other then I assume the image is in public domain and it can be freely used. I do also check a few of those sites to see if there is a copyright notice or attribution for that image.