Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Young Frankenstein (1974)

I do not understand how I missed this being on the schedule. My only excuse is that the schedule tonight is far different from what is presented in the: Now Playing guide.

Yippee! :)

I have not seen this movie for many years. It is one of my guilty pleasures as I love it far beyond sense or reason. It is the most rollicking romp of the era and I believe that it alone justifies watching movies made in the 1970s.

I hope I do not have to give synopsis of the movie as I doubt I could do it justice or type properly for I would surely be laughing very hard as I remembered each scene. :)

*Bl?cher!*

:):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

I too, LOVE this movie, Sans. The scene where PETER BOYLE as the monster dances with GENE WILDER to "Putting On The Ritz" is hilarious!

And any scene where KENNETH MARS works his mechanical arm gives me fits. Icing on the cake is MARTY FELDMAN as "Eyegore".

Frankenstein: "Eyegore, take the bags."

Eyegore( doing an excellent Groucho): "Sure. You take the blonde, and I'll grab the one in the TOIBAN!"

Sepiatone

Ovaltine! :)

There are many hilarious scenes:

Put... ze candle... back!

I must stop watching the clips and wait for the movie but I am playing so many of them in my mind that I must wonder if it matters. :)

This movie is extremely funny any way you look at it. But it's even funnier (if that's possible) if you've seen the first couple of Frankenstein movies made in the early 30's because you get the references. They actually follow the plot(s) pretty closely.

My favorite moment is them playing Charades while Peter Boyle chokes Gene Wilder.

sed-a...

SED-A-GIVE!!

Peter Boyle's reaction when Gene Hackman demolishes his cup is great too.

You know I always wonder how people that hadn't seen the 30's Frankenstein movies felt about Young Frankenstein. As with any parody, if one hadn't seen what it was based on, isn't one missing a lot? i.e. certain jokes just don't have the same impact.

> {quote:title=BigFaceSmallRazor wrote:}{quote}

> My favorite moment is them playing Charades while Peter Boyle chokes Gene Wilder.

> sed-a...

> SED-A-GIVE!!

and is repeated quickly with him choking Feldman ... :)

I first saw YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN without having seen what it was based on & I remember thinking it was hilarious. Then I saw the original FRANKENSTEIN movies & thought: "Hey, they stole that from Young Frankenstein!!" (ha ha) Then when I rewatched Y.F. it was almost like watching it for the first time cause I got all the references.

> {quote:title=jamesjazzguitar wrote:}{quote}

> You know I always wonder how people that hadn't seen the 30's Frankenstein movies felt about Young Frankenstein. As with any parody, if one hadn't seen what it was based on, isn't one missing a lot? i.e. certain jokes just don't have the same impact.

I believe some of the brilliance of the movie is that it is for all people. There are many times a parody requires a person to know the original and if you do not then you are left hanging and you know that you are left hanging. *Young Frankenstein* has many in jokes but they do not appear as in jokes.

"My name is Harold and I live here all alone"

"My grandfather used to work for you grandfather, rates have gone up"

are probably my two favorites in a film filled with favorites!

I remember reading SOMEWHERE that Gene Hackman begged to be in this movie. He is hilarious. "I was going to make espresso!"

When I saw this film in the theater when it came out, I told my father he had to absolutely see it. And guess what? He loved it! I have a copy on DVD and watch it from time to time. Too many favorite scenes to name one. I love them all. I think Mel Brooks and Gene Wilder had balls to make this in black and white at the time.

Well there are many "in jokes" and some of these are the best, so to me to get the full effect of the movie one has to have seen the original ones. For example, the scene with the little girl. Now in the original this is a very dark scene (I believe some wanted to have this scene censured at the time). So when watching this scene we in the 'know', wonder from the start if the creature is going to throw the little girl in the well. When the girls says 'what can we throw in the well now?', the creature mugs for the camera with a look of 'hey, I have an idea!'. Only those in the 'know' understand the meaning of that. So to me to get the full effect of some of the best gags one has to know what is behind them.

MrCutter and I were fortunate enough to see *Young Frankenstein* on the big screen (it had been over thirty years since either of us had seen it on the big screen) at the 2012 TCM Film Festival with TCM's own King of Cool, Tom Brown and Mel Brooks introducing the film.

From my festival notes that year:

Mel was in terrific form. He told the story about seeing the original *Frankenstein* in 1931 when he was 5 years old. He was afraid that the monster would climb through the fire escape window of the family's 5th story apartment, kill him and eat him.

That is, till his mother explained that the monster would have to take a train from Translyvania, then a boat across the ocean, the subway to Brooklyn and would likely go after the first floor neighbors before climbing five flights of the fire escape.

He then told the story of how Gene Wilder was writing the script during the filming of Blazing Saddles.

"I love you guys, but you're nuts!" Mel told the filled to capacity theater audience.

> When the girls says 'what can we throw in the well now?', the creature mugs for the camera with a look of 'hey, I have an idea!'. Only those in the 'know' understand the meaning of that.

I am sorry to say that I must disagree. I believe that any person who has spent time with children will have had such thoughts come to them from time to time.

They should run Young Frankenstein back to back with Son of Frankenstein (w/ Basil Rathbone and Boris Karloff), which is the movie on which the storyline is based. Apparently, Rathbone disliked the movie and was deliberately hammy in the scenes with Lionel Atwell, the policeman with the prosthetic arm. So, it didn't take much to push those scenes over the top.I loved the Mel Brooks tribute. My guilty pleasure is actually Men in Tights, which in many places is a scene-for-scene remake of the Flynn film -- you can tell that Brooks both loves the original, but has great fun with it!

> Well thanks for reminding me why I don't hire you to provide babysitting services!

:)

I believe you would not have to fear for the children's safety while in my care. You may have a great deal to fear of what I might teach them as I am a great fan of the comic strips Calvin & Hobbes and Thatababy and so I have a great store of appropriately strange ideas to impart to young children.

I might even teach them the nine things which they must do each night so that the monster under their bed will not have a nightmare and wake up hungry.

> {quote:title=rosebette wrote:}{quote}

> They should run Young Frankenstein back to back with Son of Frankenstein (w/ Basil Rathbone and Boris Karloff), which is the movie on which the storyline is based.

I have thought of creating a TCM Programming Challenge schedule which includes iconic movies and their parodies. It is sad to say that there are few good examples other than Brooks and Simon.