Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
SansFin

Young Frankenstein (1974)

>When the girls says 'what can we throw in the well now?', the creature mugs for the camera with a look of 'hey, I have an idea!'.

Without ever seeing the original film, people know what he's thinking...the question is quite leading.

I've always considered Young Frankenstein one of the "perfect" films of perfect writing, perfect casting/acting, perfect editing & perfect looking. It's a film someone of 10 or 70 will find funny and entertaining. You can't say much more than that about it.

Such a nice role for great Madeline Kahn.

My favorite line? When a student asks, "Are you related to the Frankenstein who did all those experiments?"

"We all know what he did."

(Wilder's tired delivery just makes that so funny)

> {quote:title=TikiSoo wrote:}{quote}

> My favorite line? When a student asks, "Are you related to the Frankenstein who did all those experiments?"

> "We all know what he did."

> (Wilder's tired delivery just makes that so funny)

I believe that it is only his perfect delivery which makes that line so very special.

It would be impossible for me to pick a favorite line because there are so very many which make me laugh each and every time I think of them. I am sure that most of them would in no way be funny if it were not for the way the lines are set up by the director and delivered so very wonderfully by the excellent cast.

> {quote:title=joefilmone wrote:}{quote}Mel Brooks funniest film and the perfect way to create a parody.

I'm still waiting for Mel to get around to doing History of the World PT. 2, the sequel to his funniest film History of the World PT. 1 :D

> {quote:title=SansFin wrote:...

> }{quote} I believe you would not have to fear for the children's safety while in my care. You may have a great deal to fear of what I might teach them as I am a great fan of the comic strips Calvin & Hobbes and Thatababy and so I have a great store of appropriately strange ideas to impart to young children.

>

> I might even teach them the nine things which they must do each night so that the monster under their bed will not have a nightmare and wake up hungry.

Ok, SansFin, for some reason nobody else took the hint. I'll bite: what are the nine things a child must do each night so that the monster under their bed will not have a nightmare and wake up hungry?

I still say that one doesn't get the full impact of what that scene (as well as many others), is trying to communicate unless one has seen the original. Yea, one can still get a laugh, but the full impact is missing, especially the impact of how Brooks turned the darkest scene in the original movie to such a comic moment. e.g. I was asking myself 'what is Brooks going to do with this scene', as soon as I saw the little girl.

> {quote:title=misswonderly wrote:}{quote}

> what are the nine things a child must do each night so that the monster under their bed will not have a nightmare and wake up hungry?

Each monster is different. Some need daddy's favorite shirt tied in knots and tossed under the bed so it can cuddle it like a blankie. Some need a peanut butter and jelly sandwich wrapped in a dirty sock shoved under the bed so it can have a nice snack before going to sleep. Some need mommy's car keys tied to the bed springs so they will tinkle like little wind chimes.

There are many, many more things I could teach a good little child to do based on what kind of monster lives under their bed.

It is important also to teach the child that the very worst monsters can turn invisible when a parent looks under the bed. :)

Instead of a :) , it should be a ]:) , SansFin (ha ha).

Last summer, I visited my nieces age 5 & 7 in Montana. Because of reunion logistics, I ended up sleeping alone in their bedroom. I noticed they had Woody & Buzz Lightyear dolls from TOY STORY. Every night I would move them to different locations & then wouldn't say anything to them about it the next morning. When they asked me how the dolls got moved, I would feign ignorance & tell them I didn't know what they were talking about & that I'd never seen the TOY STORY movies (a lie, of course).

I'm sure I had them convinced that just like in the movie, they came to life when no humans were around.

I'm glad neither of my kids had a problem like that. Monsters under the bed. My youngest DID have a problem getting to sleep when she was in the 2nd grade, because logically, getting to sleep faster meant waking UP sooner and going to school where she had to deal with a teacher that terrified her( and, it turned out, 90% of her class. But that's another, WAY too long story which would explain why I, unlike most of America, will NEVER kiss anyone's azz simply because they're a TEACHER).

Mostly, niether really wanted to go to bed. Bedtimes became a series of what amounted to what seemed like union negotiations and closing trial arguements. Those kids missed their callings.

Sepiatone

>I too, LOVE this movie,

What really helped put this film over as a classic is its early-1930s photography and lighting style, its black & white images, and its 1930s-style sets and sound track.

If more modern horror films looked like this one, they would be much better.