Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

DUKE..LUCY. .and MORGAN WOODWARD.

lanetemple

When Duke Wayne finished Burt Kennedy'...THE WAR WAGON in late 1966 he did a guest appearance on the Lucy comedy Show. Part of the show had Duke and Lucy doing a comedy bit in an olde west saloon and in the set-up fans of the Western Genre can see un-credited stuntmen like Red Morgan, Bill Hart, Jerry Gatlin and the great Chuck Roberson in the saloon. Duke had worked with those stuntmen for years and years and Chuck Roberson was the Duke' main double for over 30 years. Anyway, in the comedy skit, Morgan Woodward played the "heavy" and character actor, Joseph Ruskin, played the "director" of the set-up. I WONDER how Morgan Woodward got that gig? I would say that Duke probably didn't know who Morg was at that time. I figured that actors like Gregg Palmer, Jack Elam, Lee Van Cleef, Gene Evans, Robert Wilke, Terry Wilson, etc, etc.would get the nod for that call.

By the way, the title of the Lucy episode is called..."LUCY MEETS JOHN WAYNE"

Ah!....the THRILL of it ALL!!!!!!!!!!

All the BEST!

Lane Temple

I have to see this show! I've been watching Morgan Woodward as "Shotgun Gibbs" on *The Life and* *Times of* *Wyatt Earp* for for a few months now and know how good a Western actor he was. If Wayne didn't know who he was shame on him but I can't believe they didn't cross paths considering all the Westerns Wayne made.

They also have Myron Healy-sometimes billed as Michael for some reason-playing "Doc Holliday" and it's strange rooting for him rather than waiting for the hero to shoot him down. They're starting the Tombstone part of the story and Trevor bardette is "Pa Clanton". Denver Pyle was "Ben Thompson" and Paul Brinegar was 'Mayor Kelley" before leaving for *Rawhide.* The ads are right; there are so many great actors of the genre in this show which whitewashes Earp but is still fun to watch. There's almost more humor than gunplay.

Hello wouldbestar,

I would consider Morgan Woodward a "minor" heavy in 1966 and not well known in 1966. As a matter of fact, in Vincent McEveety' FIRECREEK in 1967, Morg was the 5th "heavy" from the left. I would be very surprised if Mr Wayne had known him in 1966. In my opinion, Morgan Woodward didn't gather his oats until the late 1960's and early 1970's when he was constantly doing GUNSMOKE.

All the Best!

Lane Temple

• 3 weeks later...

I had never noticed Morgan Woodward until Cool Hand Luke in 1967. He played Boss Godfrey - the man with no eyes. He gave such a strong performance that that he was memorable even among the powerhouse cast of supporting actors in that movie. Once I knew who he was I recognized him in dozens of movies and shows I had already seen.

Good actor.

Hi Gorch,

I agree with you that most of the movie going public or television viewers would not have known who Morgan Woodward was in 1967. As a matter of fact, when he did his first hour long episode of Gunsmoke in 1965 he was the 4th or 5th "heavy" after John Drew Barrymore. I have always like Morg but I wouldn't consider him a good actor, however, I consider him an EXCELLENT heavy. Let's be honest, he could not play the father in MY 3 SONS or Uncle Bill in FAMILY AFFAIR.

I also agree that the supporting cast of COOL HAND LUKE was excellent. Who can forget Strother Martin, he was brilliant in the bits he did for the great John Ford and he ALMOST stole the picture from Paul Newman in COOL HAND LUKE.

All the BEST!

Ah!....the THRILL of it ALL!!

Lane Temple

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings