Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

7 Days in May

again? Unpopular progressive prez Jordan Lyman (Fredric March) forces an upopular unilateral disarmament treaty on the country that the military opposes for obvious reasons fomenting a coup plot by right-wing politicians (the ever-present bad guy in Hollywood even in 1964) Coup is lead by right-wing four star general James Mattoon Scott (Burt Lancaster) His aide Col. Jiggs Casey ( Kirk Douglas) catches on to the plot, tips off Lyman and his disarmament-facilating comrades and the big bad ol' right-wingers are inevitably bested plot-wise. I'd love to see a remake with the coup coming off successfully. Mel Gibson or Jon Voight as Scott and Dustin Hoffman as Lyman. Jason Alexander as Paul Girard. :^0

> {quote:title=jamesjazzguitar wrote:}{quote}I'm not sure about Mel Gibson as Scott. How about Edward Showden?

Snowden is obviously a lib. :P ps. and besides, Snowden is going to be too busy taking high altitude ozone readings at the russian research station in Antarctica. That's what I would do with him if I were Putin. :D

> {quote:title=jamesjazzguitar wrote:}{quote}Scott, as portrayed in the movie, was obviously a traitor.

To what? The Constitution? That was Scott's opinion of Lyman and his disarmament treaty...and the film makes it clear that the treaty has no widespread concensus of public support...but Lyman is going to sign it anyway. :D

>I'd love to see a remake with the coup coming off successfully.

Well, I suppose an alternate ending like that shouldn't be that hard to come up with and still be somewhat believable, Fly my man!

Uh huh, all the Scott character has to do is whip up a little more public frenzy about "Weapons of Mass Destruction" before he takes over, and I think your idea might not be considered that far out there in the grand schemes of things.

(...I mean, somethin' similar to that HAS worked before in REAL life, RIGHT?!...though I have to admit I'm more than a little proud that I never bought into any of THAT from DAY ONE...nope, but to this very DAY I'm STILL wonderin' how the usually intelligent COLIN did???!!!)

LOL

Scott is a fictional character and to me the movie makes it clear he was a traitor. Like some real live ones his heart might of been in the right place (i.e. his interests where protecting his country), but his actions, as portrayed in the movie, were those of a traitor. This is made clear in his final conversation with Kirk Douglas' character. Scott feels Douglas has betrayed him (which is true), but Douglas did so because Scott had betrayed his country.

As for a coup; well it is my understanding that those involved in a coup are traitors by definition.

> {quote:title=finance wrote:}{quote}This is probably my all-time favorite film in which many of the characters are not wearing standard, modern, urban civilian clothing.

The sweaty babe talking to Senator Clark in the diner is my favorite :D ...Question: shouldn't Admiral Barnswell (John Houseman) have realized that Girard (Martin Balsam) having no real proof of the coup plot simply have refused to write anything down for him? :D

Barnswell was not as strongly committed to the plot as the other members of the Joint Chiefs. He was on the fence. When Balsam confronted him, he at that moment thought that the plot may have been too radical. But he probably later feared repercussions from the other joint chiefs for "tattling".

Well, MY guess is that with Scott bein' the Right-Wing Drama Queen that he is, once he got home he probably pulled out his old Colt model 1911 .45 and placed it in his mouth and pulled the trigger.

(...and thus unfortunately making any sequel a rather short affair!)

I assumed the same thing based on how he looked in the back seat of that car. But an interesting sequel would be Scott running for President in 18 months. It is my understanding none of the generals were charged with treason or other crimes (since the President insisted on covering this up), so Scott would of been free to run.

In the sequel they could have a women Russia spy. We all know they know how to carry themselves well!

>I assumed the same thing based on how he looked in the back seat of that car. But an interesting sequel would be Scott running for President in 18 months. It is my understanding none of the generals were charged with treason or other crimes (since the President insisted on covering this up), so Scott would of been free to run.

Yeah, that's not a bad premise there, James. I can see that.

AND, of course because it seems so many Americans have always fallen for the ol' "I'm a bigger and better flag-waver than YOU are" routine, Scott would probably be elected TOO!!! ;)

LOL

>In the sequel they could have a women Russia spy. We all know they know how to carry themselves well!

So, who did you have in mind for this role, if say this sequel was made around '66 or so?

Off the top pf my head I'm thinkin' maybe somebody like Julie Christie.

(...so whaddaya think?)

>What did Scott do after he drove home?

I think he resigned and became a CEO of a major munitions manufacturing company that was a major Pentagon contractor which made rockets and bombs to fight the Commies in Southeast Asia.

Either that, or he decided to move to Dallas and became a major speaker for the John Birch Society.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings