Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Of Human Bondage - Warners' Version

rosebette

Did anyone catch the Paul Henreid/Eleanor Parker version of Of Human Bondage on Tuesday? It's rarely shown, and I thought a few folks might give their opinion. I was pleasantly surprised by Parker's performance. I thought she was very believable, even her cockney accent was good. I think she was really underrated as an actress. Henreid was a bit old for the part (although Leslie Howard was older, apparently, but he always gives off the air of a geeky graduate student). Janis Paige was a knockout, too. Talk about being surrounded by beautiful women -- Alexis Smith also gave a fine, sensitive performance. In some ways, the underplaying served the story better than the first version. I never saw the Kim Novak version, so don't know how that one measures up.

I did not see Tuesday but watched again during Eleanor Parker's SOM last month. In one Post, I asked "is anyone watching it"? and did not get any response.

It's just not a good film and fraught with problems, none of Eleanor Parker's fault. She was amazing, especially considering how young she was and with not all that much experience. It is a good thing that many are seeing her talent as a result of more discussion on TCM. I have never seen the Kim Novak film but am looking forward to it in September. A lot has been discussed about Maughn's story and this "little" episode is only a smalll part of the overall story.

I agree with your views about the 46 version of Of Human Bondage. Parker was 24 at the time but Davis was only 26 (and had only been doing movies for 3 years just like Parker when she made her film).

To me Henreid isn't right for the part while Howard is. But then my favorite actor and actress our Howard and Davis, so I'm very biased.

I don't think Perkins would have made a good Philip. I didn't see the '46 version, but Henried doesn't strike me as a good Philip candidate either. Howard was excellent, I thought. And Harvey would have been great, too, if he wasn't so wooden in his delevery.

But Novak, even though not my favorite as an actress, nearly matched Davis in her performance, did an excellent accent, and gave the part the right amount of verve. From what I've seen of Parker in other projects, I've no doubt that SHE would have nailed it, too.

Sepiatone

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings