Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

No Way Out 1950

Justice1111

i ENJOYED this film and ask Osborne why he doesn't show more of films as this? Also, insted of throwing away an evening showing silents & films that not many will watch; like those early 30's films that really ought to be fogoltten! Instead show 'Wolfen" with Albert Finney plus any of the 50's 60's thriller/horrow movies ----any why not also show C. Lee & Peter Cussing films.

C 'mon programmers--PROGRAME entertainment; that would be novel!!!!!!

> {quote:title=leobertucelli wrote:}{quote}i ENJOYED this film and ask Osborne why he doesn't show more of films as this? Also, insted of throwing away an evening showing silents & films that not many will watch; like those early 30's films that really ought to be fogoltten! Instead show 'Wolfen" with Albert Finney plus any of the 50's 60's thriller/horrow movies ----any why not also show C. Lee & Peter Cussing films.

> C 'mon programmers--PROGRAME entertainment; that would be novel!!!!!!

Spot on!...Pip! Pip! I too wish Tcm programmers would cut the comedy and get back to showing the good stuff. B-)

There was a story about NAT "KING" COLE who at the height of his success moved into a posh Beverly Hills neighborhood. Soon, there was a flyer circulating the neighborhood about a meeting at someone's house to discuss the "problem". When Cole showed up at the meeting, it put the others to unease. When Cole asked what the "problem" was, one neighbor cautiously mentioned that they were looking for a way to eradicate an "undesirable element" from the neighborhood. Cole perked up and said, "I'm all for that! I certainly don't want undesirables living in MY neighborhood!" Of course, Cole KNEW who they were talking about. The whole matter was quickly dropped, and Cole lived there for a good number of years.

Sepiatone

Great story.

I would of loved to have Nat in my neighborhood. Nat is my first choice in answer to the question 'if you were on an island and could only have one musician who would it be?'. (of course the assumption is I also get to have one actress along with me, like Ava!).

If Nat did live in my neighborhood he might get upset with me; "who is that guy that keeps coming over wanting to jam,, I just got back from the studio and the last thing I want to see is a piano!".

> {quote:title=finance wrote:}{quote}I noticed that as Widmark's character was spewing his anti-black epithets in his apartment, his radio was playing "Sophisticated Lady" by Duke Ellington, probably the greatest black musician of that period. I'm sure the irony was intentional.

Widmark often mentioned that between takes of No Way Out, he was constantly apologizing to Poitier for the way he was treating him while the cameras were rolling. The other irony of that movie is that along with another famous "movie bigot", Robert Ryan, in real life Widmark was one of the strongest liberals in Hollywood.

> {quote:title=AndyM108 wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=finance wrote:}{quote}I noticed that as Widmark's character was spewing his anti-black epithets in his apartment, his radio was playing "Sophisticated Lady" by Duke Ellington, probably the greatest black musician of that period. I'm sure the irony was intentional.

> Widmark often mentioned that between takes of No Way Out, he was constantly apologizing to Poitier for the way he was treating him while the cameras were rolling. The other irony of that movie is that along with another famous "movie bigot", Robert Ryan, in real life Widmark was one of the strongest liberals in Hollywood.

Certainly Poitier would have understood the context in which Widmark was saying what he was saying....they were both of them *playing parts in a movie. :P* Poitier must've been very moved by Widmark's empathy. :D

Well there is somewhat of a racial divide in the jazz community as it relates to ranking best composer from the jazz era. I have seen polls show that black jazz musicians list Duke and Miles at the top while white ones tend to go with Porter and Kern. Duke clearly is one of the best composers as well as all around entertainers, but while he was a better musician than most composers, one wouldn't compare Duke to Monk, Tatum, Peterson, etc..

This was Sidney Poitier's first film. Richard Widmark met with him and discussed what the movie would be about before they started it. Widmark obviously believed very strongly in the "message" of the movie and was willing to play the part of the bigot, even if it was a risky career move for him. The 2 men became life long best friends and worked together in several more films in the future. I greatly admire both men for their film work and their personal character.

Edited by: mrroberts on Jul 28, 2013 6:09 PM

This is a test to see if posting to this thread makes it appear in the board lists again.

This is only a test. If this were a real post it would most likely be spam.

:)

Update: a new post does not place such a thread onto the board list but it does remain.

Discussion can continue in a less-than-obvious manner.

Edited by: SansFin on Jul 29, 2013 8:55 PM