Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Did anyone dig on STORM FEAR (1955)???!!

markbeckuaf

Wow, this was a gem I'd not seen before but thanks to my peeps at TCM I was able to totally groove hard to this character study with an edge! Everyone has baggage here, lots going on, starring Dan Duryea, Cornell Wilde (who also directed), Steven Hill, Jean Wallace, Dennis McCloud!!! Taut, somewhat claustrophobic, noir-ish/crime flick, but more of a character study than anything else! I'm totally stoked that I caught this flick!!! Anyone else dig it?

I almost wanted to start a thread on this one myself, if only to note Dan Duryea's Fred Blake character. By coincidence, I've just finished watching the Dustin Hoffman version of Death of a Salesman, and Duryea in Storm Fear was the closest thing I've seen to Willy Loman in a long, long time. Like Hoffman's utterly delusional Willy Loman with his neverending manic outbursts, Duryea's cuckolded and physically disabled character in Storm Fear is almost too painful to watch, but it gives him a dimension that goes far beyond his usual stock role as a demented gangster. The rest of the movie was very well played, but not particularly memorable as ransom movies go, although the somewhat ambiguous nature of the Wilde character and the boy's attachment to him in the face of his mother's violent objection does elevate it above the run-of-the-mill. I'd definitely recommend it.