Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

That Touch of Mink

Doris Day ain't my cup of java but I love flicks that contain scenes of our lost americana like Audrey Meadows in the automat. Movies were once bright and airy and positive and girl talk was like the smell of pastry in the neighborhood grocery store. Hope you all don't mind the nostalgia. That tastykake junior I had for sunday breakfast got to me. :^0

I love this movie! While it's not as fun as Day's movies with Rock Hudson, I still enjoy it.

I don't know if this is necessarily a thread about automats, Flyback, but another movie containing a scene in an automat that immediately comes to mind is *Easy Living*, with Ray Milland.

But if you're referring generally to movies that show a slice of Americana in yesteryear, great idea for a thread. :)

Yes the automate scene in the Jean Arthur picture Easy Living is a funny one and really gives us a view into a slice of Americana. (oh, and see how I slide a Jean reference in here; Ray Milland movie my foot! :) ).

As for Touch of Mink; I'm not a fan of Day as a 30 plus year old virgin. To me the theme of the movie is forced and it gets old real quick. While the movie tries to make use of the Hitchcock type Cary Grant persona unlike the Hitchcock movies it isn't believable here (i.e. we know Grant's character is a sweetheart at heart).

*(oh, and see how I slide a Jean reference in here; Ray Milland movie my foot! :)).*

LOL. Here's a case where the script running through my mind doesn't translate to page. :) I was thinking of both Jean Arthur and Ray Milland in the Automat - and I didn't even mention Jean, one of my top-5 favorite actresses! So yes, I also agree that it's not a Ray Milland movie. ("By the way, Jean Arthur is also in this movie", LOL...)

Back to "Mink" - I'd read somewhere that Cary Grant wasn't especially excited to work on this film, and his acting is a little stiff compared to other roles. Yes, Day is doing her straight-laced, sensible, viriginal turn... My favorite line comes when she calls Grant from his place in Bermuda. "Guess where I am?" He responds sarcastically, "Disneyworld??"

Just thought I'd mention that Olive is releasing this film on DVD and Blu-ray on Tuesday. The previous DVD incarnation was notoriously-lousy, but I've been pleased with Olive's recent output (pricey-ness aside), so here are fingers crossed:

51I0SprxG9L._SY300_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/That-Touch-Mink-Blu-ray-Grant/dp/B00CZ7AKHY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1375077817&sr=8-2&keywords=thattouchof+mink

If we're throwing out automat scenes, I have to mention Thirty Day Princess - hungry actress Sylvia Sidney is discovered for the title role in one, and later, Cary Grant inroduces the American dining-phenom to the "princess".

I like Doris Day and I like Cary Grant, but I've never been wild about this movie. I think it's mainly because they both seem too old for the parts they are playing, especially Doris. Having said that though, I would agree that the automat scene is funny.

However, when I hear the words "automat scene," the first movie that pops into my head, like so many others here, is *Easy Living*. That's really a great scene and a very funny movie.

> {quote:title=EugeniaH wrote:}{quote}My favorite line comes when she calls Grant from his place in Bermuda. "Guess where I am?" He responds sarcastically, "Disneyworld??"

Sarcastically, as in your movie career will be over before such a place exists?

Audrey Meadows had a strong supporting role as the second female lead in Tyrone Power's 1948 comedy, LUCK OF THE IRISH. She seems to have as much, if not more, screen time as Anne Baxter, the nominal leading lady. But I guess her movie career never hit it big before she moved to television.

> {quote:title=Arturo wrote:}{quote}Audrey Meadows had a strong supporting role as the second female lead in Tyrone Power's 1948 comedy, LUCK OF THE IRISH. She seems to have as much, if not more, screen time as Anne Baxter, the nominal leading lady. But I guess her movie career never hit it big before she moved to television.

Actually, that was *Jayne* Meadows (Audrey's big sis) in The Luck of the Irish.

The respective ladies Meadows:

000aaajayne.jpg220px-Audrey_Meadows_1959.JPG

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings