Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

GREAT EXPECTATIONS 1946, a wonderful film !!

FredCDobbs

*GREAT EXPECTATIONS*

What a great film this is! And a great English cast.

Pay attention to Mr. Jaggers' maid and see if you can tell who is playing her role. IMDB does not say, but I know. :)

David Lean was the director, and the film had 6 dialogue writers:

Writing credits

Charles Dickens (by)

David Lean adapted for the screen by &

Ronald Neame adapted for the screen by &

Anthony Havelock-Allan adapted for the screen by and

Kay Walsh adapted for the screen with &

Cecil McGivern adapted for the screen with

-----------------------------------------------------------

Whats the difference between an English cast and a British cast? Well, an Englishman once told me that the Royal family of England is mostly German and not English, but they are British. He said the Queen's husband is not English either, he is Greek.

See this on Wiki:

"The House of Windsor is the royal house of the United Kingdom and the other Commonwealth realms. It was founded by King George V by royal proclamation on 17 July 1917, when he changed the name of his family from the German Saxe-Coburg and Gotha (a branch of the House of Wettin) to the English Windsor, due to the anti-German sentiment in the British Empire during World War I."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_of_Windsor

Nope, not the lady you mentioned earlier. :)

Her character name is Molly, which is not listed on IMDB.

Who is the actress?? Who plays Molly? :)

You will get a better look at her later in the film.

Mr. Dickens was one of the greatest film plot creators ever. He was so clever.

Magwitch the convict has just said that he once had a child of his own.... a little girl.

Hmm......

If you know Dickens like I know Dickens, who could that little girl have been? Or.... who could she be?

:)

I wondered why I saw Estelle as well as Molly after Valerie Hobson's name in the list of characters..However, when I read it, I did not know that 'Molly" was the name of the maid. :)

I missed the first part of the movie. :) It's quite a Love Story !

Twink

Fred's referring to the 1946 David Lean version, which is readily available, in a Criterion release as well as part of a David Lean set. The Universal is the 1934 Stuart Walker Hollywood version, which I haven't seen for years. I have fond memories of it and would like to see it again. The Lean version is highly acclaimed, and I like it, but I've always found it to be a bit literary. Francis L. Sullivan plays Jaggers in both versions.

I just found out that the 1998 American version of this film has Robert De Niro imitating Finlay Currie as the convict, and it shows Estella taking her clothes off until she is buck naked. And it shows Pip smoking cigarettes while riding in a taxi. I guess this will become the new "classic" version in a few years.

>The Lean version is highly acclaimed, and I like it, but I've always found it to be a bit literary.

A bit literary?

Are you talking about the dialogue? If so, that's what I like about this version. Listening to Mr. Jaggers talk to Pip is really wonderful.

No, the 1998 version will Never become a classic as it does not come anyway Near the 1946 version.

Really, by the sounds of it, it seems like an entirely different movie altoghter,'

What did you think about Bill Hader's comment about that he thought the best part of the movie was the "Photography" ? :)

Twink

>No, the 1998 version will Never become a classic as it does not come anyway Near the 1946 version.

Look into the future. People like you and I are becoming obsolete. Within 10 years, TCM will be showing the letterboxed 1998 color with nudity version, if they want to keep the younger audience of the future.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Twilight Zone, "Obsolete Man":

Edited by: FredCDobbs on Jul 28, 2013 9:19 PM

I would not say we are becoming obsolete. swithin just remarked that he preferred the 1934 version over the 1946 version which is obviously even older ! :)

Certainly, the movies from the 30s-50s were before my time and I much prefer them over anything that is out there today. It's all about one's taste And appreciation ! :)

When my son was a teenager, he loved King Kong (1933) as well as Bela Lugosi movies. He would even tell me how much better those movies were. I have never seen King Kong , nor had I ever heard of Bela Lugosi. Kids have a way of finding their own tastes and can make own decisions.

Twink

Edited by: twinkeee on Jul 28, 2013 11:33 PM

Yes, a great film. The actress who played Miss Faversham played vampire Baron Meinster's mother in Hammer's The Brides of Dracula. How can you not love that early 19th century bleak wintry muddy rustic english landscape? We learn english convict escapees love pork pie and english cows greet young boys with *"Hello, young thief*". :D

Yes, and I love Finlay Currie and whenever I see one of the films I think of the other., because of him. Wonderful actor .btw, I find it very interesting that no one has mentioned the 1930's version of *Great Expectations*. That was the first version I watched when I was a little girl. Henry Hull played Magwitch. I love that version also. Jane Wyatt was Estella. I find it interesting that no one has mentioned that version, considering what's gone on this week-end on another thread.

> {quote:title=FlyBackTransformer wrote:}{quote}Yes, a great film. The actress who played Miss Faversham played vampire Baron Meinster's mother in Hammer's The Brides of Dracula...

I'm pretty sure it's "Miss Havisham". The actress's name is Martita Hunt.

240px-Martita_Hunt_Great_Expectations.jp

"Well...you can break his heart."

> {quote:title=misswonderly wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=FlyBackTransformer wrote:}{quote}Yes, a great film. The actress who played Miss Faversham played vampire Baron Meinster's mother in Hammer's The Brides of Dracula...

> I'm pretty sure it's "Miss Havisham". The actress's name is Martita Hunt.

>

> 240px-Martita_Hunt_Great_Expectations.jp

>

>

> "Well...you can break his heart."

>

I wasn't sure whether it was Favershan or Havisham. :D I will always wonder how many dust mites were in her hair. :^0 These english guys and their puppy love obsessions. I wouldn't have wasted two buttons and an old shoe on Estella and her snippy-ness. All that old food of Miss Havisham's, she should just have let Jaggers eat it. :^0 Hey, Freda Jackson who played blacksmith Joe's awful pip-scrubbing wife was one of the stygian witches in 1981's Clash of the Titans. :P

Sorry, Fred. I guess I meant "stagey." I like the film, but I don't think David Lean had developed his cinematic sense yet -- too many words on screen; not enough meaning conveyed by shots. (Actually, I think Lean's best film is his last: A Passage to India, which IMHO is his work of genius). But I like his version of Great Expectations, though the earlier one deserves a look.

1526880.jpg