Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Laughing Policeman (1973) - he never laughed once in the movie

I'd like this movie to come on TCM some time in the future. It's a Fox film. I seen it on last week in the early morning hours. It's a good movie , but not Matthau's best. Bruce Dern's character shines more than Matthau's.

The movie is about a dead cop who was among the vicitms of a bus shooting in san francisco. Matthau and Dern try to find out why the cop was on the bus and who did the shooting.

After watching this movie , I felt a little cheated. I expected more out of it. I don't know. Maybe I was expecting something like "The Seven Ups" , which came out two years later with the 'Jaws' guy in it.

Edited by: classiccinemafan on Jul 29, 2013 5:37 PM

• 5 years later...

Aha! Looking for --and found --this thread for this film.

I would insist that its a very interesting flick, despite its flaws. I don't dismiss it from Matthau's great string of 1970s performances.

I'd like to see more discussion about it in general. Gritty and realistic. Norwegian authored source novel --and Swedish crime thrillers now rule the market as you probably know.

Louis Gossett Jr is in this one; and Joanna Cassidy too. Of course, it might only be some percentage of Joanna Cassidy and Louis Gossett Jr, (depending on your subjective determination based on how many ne-noirs they starred in total)

On 7/29/2013 at 5:37 PM, classiccinemafan said:

I'd like this movie to come on TCM some time in the future. It's a Fox film. I seen it on last week in the early morning hours. It's a good movie , but not Matthau's best. Bruce Dern's character shines more than Matthau's.

I own that one on DVD. Good movie.

I really enjoy Matthau's work - particularly in the 1970's.

There's a really important take-away from this film --despite any other of its merits or faults--which is very useful in real-life. After watching it, you realize you should never take a seat anywhere in a bus or train other than a rear seat in the last row. I abide by this all the time.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings