Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Magnificent Obsession Compare 1935 to 1954

Kid Dabb

With the frequent mention of post-40s (or thereabout) films being unappreciated

or "hated" or unqualified for viewing here, it struck me this evening as the 1954

version has just begun.. these two should make for a good comparison along

those lines. I haven't seen either in their entirety but, from what I've read and

seen to date, they both follow the same storyline, making for good comparative

material. There is the obvious B/W vs Color, then the actors themselves.

I am a sucker for color films of this period, but (this) one remade from a B/W

original only interests me from a technical point of view. I really like the color

saturations - kinda like old Kodachrome film.. kinda.. sorta. The original lacks

color but is more streamlined and to the point, as are many films of that era.

With the post-40s, a combination of newer, (then) unfamiliar actors, color film,

and unneeded scenes or dialog seem to gradually creep into the mix and it's

hit or miss as to whether I'll like it or not. I guess I just fell for the ways of the

old classics.

That's my take..

That's an interesting observation, Finance. I had never thought about that. For such an important production, I thought that Rock Hudson did quite well. And Jane Wyman received a much-deserved Oscar nomination. I thought she was terrific.

Terrence.

Jane Wyman always impresses me. She was a sterling actress, and in this one she was called on to pull all her tricks out of the bag at once. Amazing performance. Hudson wasn't bad, considering that he had a broken collarbone throughout, according to Robert Osborne. He was still new at the game and I think he was concentrating really hard. His career meant everything to him at that point. He had "broken" his voice to make it deeper, through smoking and going up mountains and screaming until he was hoarse. I thought the gray hair at the temples did more for his performance than those things, though. He was BIG, and that was emphasized. Two actors I've heard referred to as big in that way: John Wayne and Rock Hudson. Huge men when they were full-fleshed. Both rail-thin at the end of their lives, sadly.

Agnes Moorhead astounded me, as always. She was the cream of the crop of character actresses, followed closely by Thelma Ritter.

I confess I love movies with lots of color, nice clothes and elaborate sets, and this one had it all. Everywhere they went was immaculate and well-run. I want my life to be that way, and it's not ... but I don't have a bulky budget, either.

No matter what, I watch it whenever it's on. I just love sentiment and always will, I suppose. There was a lot of it around in the novels surrounding my youth, of which this was one.

What I learned from the remake last night:

On a scale of 1 to 10, Dr. Phillips was a 37; Rock Hudson's character was about a -53.

And if you didn't get thsi from the dialog, you certainly got it from the musical cues.

I have a headache from the movie pouding its main points into my head with a sledgehammer.