Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TCM changed their on-air graphics today.

HFabian

Starting at 6am EST today (with the airing of BOGART: THE UNTOLD STORY [1996]), TCM is using an all-new graphics package for interstitial segments between films.

* No more 'dun...dun-dun...' before every film!

* No more 'damn...good...actress!' before Word of Mouth segments!

* Trailers are now shown on 3/4 of the screen with no distracting 'people walking around on a backlot' in the background!

* Brighter colors and larger, easier-to-read text!

These new graphics add brightness and vitality to TCM's visual presentation and really make it feel 'younger' than ever.

Kudos to TCM for making necessary changes to keep this great network looking fresh.

> {quote:title=HFabian wrote:}{quote}Starting at 6am EST today (with the airing of BOGART: THE UNTOLD STORY [1996|http://forums.tcm.com/]), TCM is using an all-new graphics package for interstitial segments between films.

>

> * No more 'dun...dun-dun...' before every film!

> * No more 'damn...good...actress!' before Word of Mouth segments!

> * Trailers are now shown on 3/4 of the screen with no distracting 'people walking around on a backlot' in the background!

> * Brighter colors and larger, easier-to-read text!

>

> These new graphics add brightness and vitality to TCM's visual presentation and really make it feel 'younger' than ever.

>

> Kudos to TCM for making necessary changes to keep this great network looking fresh.

>

It took 'em long enough and lets all hope it doesn't set them back too much. ]:)

> Well, ya can't say TCM doesn't try and cater to their primary demographic then, can ya!!!

Dargo,

Considering their major demographic is under the age of 49, they may just be throwing our demographic a bone! :)

I'm pretty sure the forner rating clips were introduced in 2008. I like the change. Simple and colorful. I like the new look of the trailer graphics. I thought the recentlly retired "screen" graphics were distracting as well.

Thanks TCM for all you do to keep us entertained, even when the movies aren't playing!

Yancey

Since I often use the down time between films to practice pool, and since my pool table is five steps down on our house's lower level, the most important thing for me about the introductions is the rhythm and predictability of the music. I loved the intros TCM was using up through yesterday because I could easily time my sprint up the stairs to the precise point where I pressed the record button. Since I already had all of today's Bogarts, I'm going to have to wait to give it a test, and if they're still using it on the 29th with 24 hours of Glenda Farrell, I'd better have it down pat by then. B-)

By contrast, on the Fox Movie Channel, you get no music and only a few seconds between the beginning of the intro and the start of the movie, which doesn't give me enough time to finish up a rack before I start running up the stairs. You'd think they'd have a little more consideration.;)

If only for finally retiring those annoying multiple screens for the coming attractions, TCM has my gratitude. I could still argue the point that they should just use the appropriate screen area just as one would get for a feature, I can at least watch them without distraction now.

> By contrast, on the Fox Movie Channel, you get no music and only a few seconds between the beginning of the intro and the start of the movie, which doesn't give me enough time to finish up a rack before I start running up the stairs.

Are you sure of that? Don't they have the end of the Fox fanfare, followed by several seconds of "whooshing" with the "Next feature in..." and the thing going around like those old countdowns at the beginning of reels of film?

It would've been nice if they could have alternated different Chet Baker songs like "Let's Get Lost" etc. it just got played out from too much repetition.................. And the fake rube goldberg: Every time I see it I wish they had filmed a Real rube goldberg thing. I saw one on ch. 7 that was incredible complex. If you are going to use it make it real. The phony one just makes you want a real one.

I dislike the new graphics. The channel looks generic and boring now. I've been watching TCM for over a decade now. It keeps getting worse as years go by (not the programming. the grapics). I loved the old fashioned look and feel during the late 90s and early 2000s.

re: wouldbestar , I loved the morning intro too. I miss it.

For those who like the new graphics, that's cool.

Edited by: classiccinemafan on Aug 3, 2013 5:35 AM

> {quote:title=Fedya wrote:}{quote}

> > By contrast, on the Fox Movie Channel, you get no music and only a few seconds between the beginning of the intro and the start of the movie, which doesn't give me enough time to finish up a rack before I start running up the stairs.

> Are you sure of that? Don't they have the end of the Fox fanfare, followed by several seconds of "whooshing" with the "Next feature in..." and the thing going around like those old countdowns at the beginning of reels of film?

Yeah, but it's all done in such staccato style that it's almost all over before you notice it. I haven't watched the new TCM intro in full yet, but their "classic" intros gave you nearly a full minute from the first familiar note to the actual start of the movie, with several distinct turning points in the music to help you re-set your internal clock. If you're in another part of the house but want to record the film, that elongated lead time with multiple interim cues is a blessing, and I hope the new one doesn't cut it short.

One case where TCM hasn't lately followed tradition is with The Essentials, where it now just kind of fades into the introduction without any warning. But since I usually don't care about recording the introduction, that's a relatively minor issue.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings