Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

It's Friday and we get Doris Day musicals...

and tomorrow is of course a David Lean pet movie day with a morning showing of Great Expectations and afternoon showings of our old but dear never soon forgotten friends T.E. Lawrence and Yuri Zhivago oh goody. Love that train ride into the Urals with Klaus Kinski. :P Tonite I will watch a DVD already burned with The Three Stooges short A Plumbing We Will Go (my favorite 3 stooges short) followed by The Conjuring.

> {quote:title=lavenderblue19 wrote:}{quote}YES, and I'm LOVING These Doris movies, bet many here are too. Glad you have other things that you enjoy watching. You can't please everyone all the time.

Which do you think is funnier? Doris Day & Brian Keith in With Six You Get Eggroll or Lucille Ball and Hank Fonda and Van Johnson in Yours, Mine and Ours? I think the teaming of Doris & Brian was great but With Six You Get Eggroll makes Yours, Mine and Ours look like a masterpiece. :D

Have always enjoyed Lucille Ball but didn't think "Yours Mine and Ours" was that great when I saw it in 1968. I was 13 going on 14 at the time and went on the first day because I was so anxious to see it. Enjoyed it but didn't feel there was any chemistry between Lucy and Henry and didn't laugh out loud except once.

In August of 1968 I attended the world premiere of "Eggroll" in Boston at the Orpheum Theatre along with about 1600 other people and sat in front of the film's director, Howard Morris and cast members Pat Carroll and Barbara Hershey. Nobody laughed as hard as Morris did and I found myself laughing out loud quite a few times.

What made it work for me was the chemistry between Miss Day and Keith. They really clicked. While the storyline and script were not especially fresh and/or original, they made me believe as did Miss Hershey and other cast members. Until the last fifteen minutes turned into an out and out slapstick-type chase, I loved the warmth and realism projected and went back to see it again which, on my limited allowance, was a challenge but enjoyed it even more.

As Doris Day's final film, it received very good reviews in Boston and in a number of other papers including the L.A. Times and Washington Post. It also turned out to be one of the top ten moneymaking films of Miss Day's 39 film career. Not an awful way to bow out.

I agree wholeheartedly about "The Pajama Game". I had hoped that TCM might be able to show some Day titles that aren't shown frequently such as that title, "Teacher's Pet" and the 1968 "Where Were You When the Lights Went Out?".

"Lights" has a dubious reputation but still has some enjoyable moments including some very skillful comic touches durinf the sleeping potion scene with Miss Day and Robert Morse.

"Lights" was also a success at the box-office, though not of the order of some previous Day films. Nevertheless, in the first four weeks of it's six week run at New York's Radio City Music Hall in August/September, 1968, it broke box-office records and eventually took in over 1.3 million at that theatre alone where it was seen by more than 750,000.

It is a film that plays better with an audience than on video (It has not been released on DVD). I saw it at Radio City with 6,000 others and the audience could hardly contain themselves and the aforementioned scene was greeted with thunderous applause and raucous sustained laughter.

MissW, I love *Pajama Game* - Doris singing Hey There, so beautiful and Steam Heat and Hernando's Hideaway, watching the Great Carol Haney dance. Another film I took out of the library a couple of years ago. I remember many years ago, *Pajama Game* was shown on TV. That's another one that so many of us would love to see on TCM.

PAJAMA GAME is my favorite DD musical, LOVE ME OR LEAVE ME I consider a drama with music,...anyway several years ago, I found a new VHS of it at the 99 cents store for that price. I purchased it, as it hadbeen years since I'dseen it on TV.

I second your vote for Pajama Game, one of Doris' best musicals, but for some reason I dont understand, it rarely (and I mean RARELY) ever gets shown on TCM. I dont get it. Its WB, so I would think they have access to it........I dont think I've seen it on for a good decade........

"Pajama Game" is a wonderful film, very well directed by Stanley Donen. Doris delivers a knockout musical performance. Even friends I know who don't care for many of her screen roles have been captivated by "The Pajama Game". It's the kind of performance that gives real hints of what she could have brought to "South Pacific".