• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Ruggles of Red Gap (1935) excellent film Sun. 8 pm EDT 8/4/13

FredCDobbs

Ruggles of Red Gap (1935) excellent film Sun. 8 pm EDT 8/4/13

Charles Laughton ... Ruggles

Mary Boland ... Effie Floud

Charles Ruggles ... Egbert Floud (as Charlie Ruggles)

Zasu Pitts ... Mrs. Judson (as ZaSu Pitts)

Roland Young ... Earl of Burnstead

Leila Hyams ... Nell Kenner

An English valet brought to the American west assimilates into the American way of life

> {quote:title=Sarab1033 wrote:}{quote}I was amazed - I mean, even my kids (11 and 14) know when the war started and ended. How could the error have made it past however many people saw it before Hader taped his intro?

...the same way Ben's attire made it past however many people...

Twink

>I was amazed - I mean, even my kids (11 and 14) know when the war started and ended.

So Sarab, do you ALSO have one of those bumper stickers on your car that says somethin' like, "My kid is an honor student at Such-and-Such Elementary School"???

'Cause from what I hear AND see, most kids NOW days haven't got a freakin' clue WHAT happened in the world before they were born, and are PROUD of that fact!!! LOL ;)

(...btw, if you're a Canadian, of course that bumper sticker would say, "HONOUR student"!!!)

Oh, and one more thing here, folks...how many of you had tears in your eyes after Ruggles recited the Gettysburg Address? I know I did!

(...AND btw, one of the things my 5th grade classmates and I had to memorize and recite in class back in the day...AND something I doubt kids today are required to do)

Edited by: Dargo2 on Aug 5, 2013 12:35 PM

You might be onto somethin' there, finance...though as big an old movie fan as he is and thus would suspect Bill to also be a bit of a history buff, wouldn't ya think he would've picked up on his own misnomer.

(...not to sound like a..ahem.."Hader Hater" here, ya understand ;) ...'cause I've always liked Bill)

There were many funny lines in this movie. One in particular that stood out was when Mary Bolan's husband hadn't shown up for a Dinner Party she was giving. Her excuse she was giving to the guests was that maybe he is "Possibly on the phone with the King or possibly with

" the MAYOR of Canada" ! :)

tWINK

O-M-G!!! Fred, my man, you called it with this flick!!! I was totally digging on all Mary Boland's flix on Sunday, but this one, wow!!!

I couldn't watch it on Sunday, so I fired it up from the DVR last night, after a super duper quadruple pooper crazy day at work, and man, it was the right tonic for what ailed me!!! I had seen it before, but for some reason it really resonated for me this time!!

Sentimental in all the right places, but man, it literally had me rolling on the floor, doubled over with laughter in many, many spots!!! OMG! Everyone was awesome!! Charles Laughton was aces! So was Charlie Ruggles, Mary Boland, Zasu Pitts, Leila Hyams...everyone rocked the house!!! This flick totally grooved it hard, and was just what I needed yesterday!!! TCM, you guys ROCK!

> {quote:title=twinkeee wrote:}{quote}There were many funny lines in this movie. One in particular that stood out was when Mary Bolan's husband hadn't shown up for a Dinner Party she was giving. Her excuse she was giving to the guests was that maybe he is "Possibly on the phone with the King or possibly with

> " the MAYOR of Canada" ! :)

>

> tWINK

>

Twinkee, OMG, that was so hilarious! So many great "throwaway" lines like this one, you nearly miss them!! I was soooooooo howling with laughter and glee with this flick!!! Such a groovalicious joy!

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings