Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Honeymooners

I was just grabbing some old black & white Honeymooners episodes off of youtube and I was thinking how I would love to see TCM break out The Honeymooners. Not the old mouldy classics that we all love but the ABC-TV primetime specials from the 1970s with Audrey Meadows reprising Alice Kramden. Surely that would attract a greater viewing audience then some old Johnny Carson interviews.

There was the occasional movie star on "The Honeymooners," for example, my favorite episode of the show is "A Woman's Work Is Never Done," which featured Betty Garde as Thelma the Maid. Ms. Garde is better known to many of us here as the inmate who stabbed Hope Emerson with a fork in Caged.

original.jpg

LOL, they weren't really big on guests, it wasn't exactly I Love Lucy! (I think using big-name stars would have detracted from the utterly working-class feel of the show). I mention the Betty Garde episode because it's my favorite and because she has such an iconic moment in movie history with that fork. Garde was also excellent in Call Northside 777 as the woman -- Wanda -- who won't divulge the truth. She also played Aunt Eller in the original Broadway production of Oklahoma!, the role played on screen by Charlotte Greenwood.

The Honymooners was not guest star-driven, so few big names show up. Elisha Cook Jr plays a small role as a Runyonesque gangster in one episode (allegedly he happened to be hanging around Gleason when the latter convinced him to appear in the show); another features Charles Korvin as a dance instructor. The fact that Korvin cannot dance adds some unintentional laughs when he demonstrates how to do the mambo.

I don't know if the Honeymooners belongs on TCM, but it would be nice if there were a channel that showed old TV the same kind of respect TCM shows old movies. Classic sitcoms, westerns, and especially the great live TV dramas that have fallen into oblivion. It would nice to see The Great Gatsby with Robert Ryan, The Last Tycoon with Jack Palance, and the originals of The Left Handed Gun and Visit To A Small Planet (with Cyril Ritchard) -- that is, if they survive...

I love The Honeymooners (no tv show has ever been better) but it does not belong on TCM in any form. Come on, if TCM starts pursuing a "greater viewing audience" then we can forget about 90% of the current format. The old Carson interviews being shown are to show the people (classic film stars) being interviewed.

>I don't know if the Honeymooners belongs on TCM, but it would be nice if there were a channel that showed old TV the same kind of respect TCM shows old movies.

There is...a poster mentioned METV earlier in this thread. It broadcasts a wide variety of classic TV shows.

The programmers understand we've seen these shows before, so they mix the roster pretty regularly to keep it fresh.

Yeah, there's commercials, but we all have "mute" buttons and besides, these shows were originally seen with commercials!

I agree, the Honeymooners do not belong on TCM.

I'd like to chime in here. I love the Honeymooners - and I don't get METV. I get Antenna tv but they don't show the Honeymooners. I don't know if it would fit into TCM's theme of playing classic film - but it would be a nice change - like maybe once a week they can devote an hour or two to "classic tv" or something like that.

That being said, I have another great idea. I've been watching, and enjoying, classic game shows - particularly "What's My Line"....and I love the part at the end of the show where the "mystery guest" signs his/her name on a blackboard and the panelists are blindfolded and try to guess who the classic actor/actress is. They are on youtube. This is something I'd love to see TCM show - maybe pick an hour or two to show these great classic game shows where there is a classic actor/actress such as on "What's My Line". I used to get Game Show Network and they showed it, but I no longer get that channel. TCM should consider showing some of these classic game shows - it actually would be a nice change - since most of the classic films have been shown so many times, it gets a little redundant and boring - just my opinion.

I've also been watching those "What's My Line" mystery guest clips on YouTube. They're great, not just for the mystery guests, but for those old panelists. I recently watched one with James Mason as mystery guest and was reminded of how cultured those panelists were -- Arlene Francis, Bennett Cerf, etc. Another reminder about the dumbing down of today's television. It would be nice to see those on TCM, not replacing film time, but as filler between films.

MeTV shows THE HONEYMOONERS at 1:30am on weeknights. If you have DVR, you'd have to set the timer. If you're retired, as I am, you could stay up to watch it.

If your service doesn't carry MeTV, I don't know any other resource, other than YouTube you coyuld access.

I don't know if TCM should show them or not. If I were a "purist", I'd say no. But as a weekend mid day feature, I don't see the harm. Enough of them might take the time away from them showing another "frequent flyer", and perpetuating THAT complaint.

Sepiatone

>I don't know if TCM should show them or not. If I were a "purist", I'd say no. But as a weekend mid day feature, I don't see the harm.

Come on, man!

It only takes about 20 people with that attitude to RUIN TCM.

"Oh, I don't see any harm in TCM airing THE RIFLEMAN"

"Oh, I don't see any harm in TCM airing I LOVE LUCY"

"Oh, I don't see any harm in TCM airing a little sports, maybe some golf. I like old movies AND golf"

"Oh, I don't see any harm in TCM airing re-runs of THE BILL COSBY SHOW".

"Oh, I don't see any harm in TCM airing one new Sci-Fi movie a week. I just love CGI effects!"

"Oh, I don't see any harm in TCM airing one modern slasher film a week."

"Oh, I don't see any harm in TCM airing Anime films on the weekend."

"Oh, I don't see any harm in TCM airing GUNSMOKE"

"Oh, I don't see any harm in TCM airing Bollywood films once a week."

"Oh, I don't see any harm in TCM airing a cooking show. I like to eat while I watch old movies"

"Oh, with 15% of the US now Hispanic, I don't see any harm in TCM airing 15% Mexican and other Hispanic films."

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings