Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

October : NO Universal Frankenstein / Universal Dracula !

classiccinemafan

This is a crime ! October is mostly Vincent Price and Hammer films (curse of frankenstein , horror of dracula , plague of the zombie , etc etc). I'm not unhappy about it. I'm shocked. TCM is showing Francis Ford Coppola's "The Conversation". A film i've read about in film books for years. Never seen it. Always wanted to. Another film I've waited to see is Mean Streets. TCM is finally showing it.

Come on, are you really "shocked"?

I mean there have been multiple threads at this forum about the difficultly TCM (or any station), has with obtaining rights to Universal films. So I'm deeply disappointed in Universal and have been for years.

BYW: Claude Rains was only kidding when he said he was shocked that there was gambling going on at Rick's.

• 1 year later...

Universal has discovered that it's far more profitable to put their horror films up for bid every year or  two instead of giving one network long-term rights. That drives the prices up and puts TCM at a disadvantage when going up against  networks with lots of bucks from commercials. Most networks wouldn't play a black and white movie if they got it for free, but when it's Halloween or Christmas movies they come running with their checkbooks open.

• Like 1

This is a crime ! October is mostly Vincent Price and Hammer films (curse of frankenstein , horror of dracula , plague of the zombie , etc etc). I'm not unhappy about it. I'm shocked. TCM is showing Francis Ford Coppola's "The Conversation". A film i've read about in film books for years. Never seen it. Always wanted to. Another film I've waited to see is Mean Streets. TCM is finally showing it.

well, tcm obviously does not care about us classic sci-fi and horror devotees and their disregard is showing. all tcm has ever given a dump about is crime noirs, obscure french cinema, GWTW, the wizard of oz, Lawrence of Arabia, 2001: a Space Odyssey and their two pets, Forbidden Planet and The Time Machine and that's it! they're just too dam cheap to expand their catalog (there, I said it!)

:)

• Like 1

well, tcm obviously does not care about us classic sci-fi and horror devotees and their disregard is showing. all tcm has ever given a dump about is crime noirs, obscure fremch cinema, GWTW, the wizard of oz,, Lawrence of Arabia, 2001: a Space Odyssey and their two pets, Forbidden Planet and The Time Machine and that's it! they're just too dam cheap to expand their catalog (there, I said it!)

It isn't that TCM is too cheap but that they don't care about you classic sci-fi and horror devotees.    

There I said it!

well, tcm obviously does not care about us classic sci-fi and horror devotees and their disregard is showing. all tcm has ever given a dump about is crime noirs, obscure french cinema, GWTW, the wizard of oz, Lawrence of Arabia, 2001: a Space Odyssey and their two pets, Forbidden Planet and The Time Machine and that's it! they're just too dam cheap to expand their catalog (there, I said it!)

Proof? what proof be needed? has tcm ever shown the UK cut of William Camerom Menzies' Invaders From Mars which is way superior to the american version? no, of course not and they probably never will.

• Like 1

one more thing, if tcm is going to disregard the horror and science fiction genres then imo they have no business making out all the time like they love to do that they're these great all-knowledgeable cinemaphiles.

professed cinemaphiles shouldn't disdain certain genres...

it ain't nice. :D

This isn't any complaint about TCM but I was wondering why I have never seen them show the original "Dracula" with Bela Lugosi. They've shown the original Frankenstein, Bride Of Frankenstein,

Son Of Frankenstein, The Wolf Man, The Mummy and even Dracula's Daughter but I don't remember ever seeing the original Dracula on TCM. And I've had TCM since 1995.

Another of the old Universal horror films which is rarely shown (I've never seen it on TCM) is Werewolf Of London (1935). I actually prefer it to The Wolf Man.

This isn't any complaint about TCM but I was wondering why I have never seen them show the original "Dracula" with Bela Lugosi. They've shown the original Frankenstein, Bride Of Frankenstein,

Son Of Frankenstein, The Wolf Man, The Mummy and even Dracula's Daughter but I don't remember ever seeing the original Dracula on TCM. And I've had TCM since 1995.

Another of the old Universal horror films which is rarely shown (I've never seen it on TCM) is Werewolf Of London (1935). I actually prefer it to The Wolf Man.

Universal and TCM don't have a good relationship as it relates to leasing films.    This is why TCM shows so few Universal films.   

My understanding is that a film like Dracula isn't leased by TCM because Universal has already leased the film to another network under an exclusive leasing arrangement  OR that the price they are seeking is out of range of TCM's budget (and more in the range of networks that show commercials).

You're in for a real treat with THE CONVERSATION and MEAN STREETS.  Gene Hackman's performance in CONVERSATION is my favorite from him and I love the score.  I am extremely disappointed with the meager Universal horror on TCM.  I don't blame TCM but I wish they could/would show the Universal full horror catalogue from the '30s and '40s.

You're in for a real treat with THE CONVERSATION and MEAN STREETS.  Gene Hackman's performance in CONVERSATION is my favorite from him and I love the score.  I am extremely disappointed with the meager Universal horror on TCM.  I don't blame TCM but I wish they could/would show the Universal full horror catalogue from the '30s and '40s.

they could...but they would hafta pay out to do that...

which they obviously aren't going to do. :)

Universal and TCM don't have a good relationship as it relates to leasing films.    This is why TCM shows so few Universal films.   

My understanding is that a film like Dracula isn't leased by TCM because Universal has already leased the film to another network under an exclusive leasing arrangement  OR that the price they are seeking is out of range of TCM's budget (and more in the range of networks that show commercials).

But they have such a wonderful relationship when it comes to TCM hawking UNIVERSAL vault classics or Paramount classics that Universal owns. Maybe TCM just doesn't know how to make deals, you know, something like "no tickee, no washee"  no film deals BIG U, you take your DVDs and BLUs and take a hike.

But they have such a wonderful relationship when it comes to TCM hawking UNIVERSAL vault classics or Paramount classics that Universal owns. Maybe TCM just doesn't know how to make deals, you know, something like "no tickee, no washee"  no film deals BIG U, you take your DVDs and BLUs and take a hike.

Yes,  it could be true that TCM staff needs to buck up and learn how to negotiate better deals.  

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings