Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Ben Mankeiwicz

Waynette

> {quote:title=Waynette wrote:}{quote}What happened to the "hip? Ben? Now he's in suits, hair slicked back, granny glasses. Did TCM make him change?

In other words, Ben had a 'makeover'. B-)

Maybe they are trying to give him a more "Classy" look...to keep up with Robert O's image. :)

Twink

I'm sure Ben is quite secure in his job and will be at TCM for a long

time, but.......just in case the gig doesn't work out he wants to be

prepared to enter the Bloomie's Management Trainee Program

as quickly as possible.

In general I liked the young "hip" Mankman better than the

current "semi-bland" version, but that ship has already sailed.

Hmmmm. Wonder what good ole Bill Tush is doing these days.

billtush.002.jpg

The Greatest of All Time.

He appeared last year as host of a reality television series titled: Hot Set Two set designers were given a scene for which they were to construct a camera-ready set in a few days on a small budget. Three experts then judged the results.

The interest for me was seeing how sets are constructed and that there could be such variance when they were both given the same task.

I have not seen mention of it returning this year. That does not surprise me as it was not an energetic show and it was very much a niche concept. The award money was so little that I doubt it would attract any set designer who could find regular work.

I preferred the goateed, slightly scruffy Ben of yore. I never associated that look so much with youth (hey, Ben's gotta be in his 40s ) or "edgeiness" so much as just cool. Cool in the sense of relaxed, casual, easy-going. He always looked clean and ironed - just because someone has a goatee and wears jeans doesn't mean they don't shower ! (An accusation some have made of the former Ben incarnation in the past.)

I can't object to a more formal style in general - suits Robert Osborne to a "T" - but the old Ben look provided a contrast to that.

Either way, I am a fan of Mr. Mankiewicz and hope he stays with TCM for a long time.

"Nyah" to his naysayers (some of whom are my friends here.)

ps (I do kind of wonder, though, why this subject is just being brought up now. The new squeeky clean suited Ben has been around for at least a year now.)

I can't speak on the clothing, but the goatee might be another matter.

My one brother-in-law used to sport a nice looking moustache. About ten years ago, for some specific health reason, his doctor advised him to shave it off. I'm too sketchy on the details to accurately explain further. I'll have to remember to ask him about that next time I see him.

Sepiatone

> {quote:title=helenbaby wrote:}{quote}

> I follow Ben on twitter and he did post the other day that Hot Set was not renewed for a second series.

I thank you for that information. I suspect it was expensive to produce and I doubt it drew a large audience. He was as good a host as could be managed but there was no great material for him to present.

Why is Ben wearing dirty blue jeans today, and a white tie with a white shirt?

What style is this? It's not grunge. It's not formal.

Mr. Osborne always looks formal.

Hey, maybe they should start dressing Mr. Osborne like Ben and Ben like Mr. Osborne. :) Just to generate some publicity for a while.

Robert Osborne Always looks 'perfect' ! :) He has a great sense of style.

Ben could learn a few tips from him. :|

Twink

PS I am trying to have a 'visual' of R.O. dressed as Ben is today and it is just Not coming through ! :0

Edited by: twinkeee on Aug 4, 2013 5:25 PM

> Why is Ben wearing dirty blue jeans today, and a white tie with a white shirt?

How can tell they are dirty? They look quite clean and well kept on my television.

He may be dressed less formally because it's Sunday.

He was wearing a suit on Friday night.

Edited by: lzcutter because the second sentence wasn't a question.

I know Ben has some outside projects separate from TCM, but I don't

really follow him that closely. Both hosts are pleasant enough, but

they're really secondary to the movies.

Uncle Bob is a stylish dresser, but most of his suits are rather of the

"usual suspects" type, nothing very adventuresome, which is okay.

He's hosting TCM, not the GQ channel.

Well, it took a while for grunge to finally get to Atlanta. :D

>Robert Osborne Always looks 'perfect' ! He has a great sense of style.

>

>Ben could learn a few tips from him.

>

>Twink

One time, about 25 years ago, I had just photographed a lot of tornado damage, and I had to get to my TV station fast and go on the live news set to narrate my video. About half way through my report I suddenly realized I was wearing dirty work clothes, my safari jacket, and my safari hat (my Saturday off-duty loafing clothes). But it was a great report. That was the first and only time my TV station had a news reporter on a live news set wearing a safari type fedora. :)

>How can tell they are dirty? They look quite clean and well kept on my television.

They are the type of jeans I used to see being sold at Walmart about 5 or 6 years ago. Bleached fronts and then dyed a kind of dirty look. This fad came a few years after the beached front look. The fad went from bleached front to bleached front and dirty looking. Great place Wal-Mart. Of course their latest styles are different now. :)

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/379584110/2013_Dirty_Washing_Fashion_Blue_Jeans.html

>He may be dressed less formally because it's Sunday.

Oh?? You mean he was sleeping late and they called him in at the last minute and he threw on some old clothes and rushed right down to the studio? :)

...and I bet you still looked 'Hot', even in your safari jacket. ! B-)

From time to time, I have seen a reference on TV about Cronkite going on TV when Kennedy was shot without his suit jacket on. Apparently, this was the first time ever that a newsman went on TV dressed in that manner.

Twink

> {quote:title=FredCDobbs wrote:}{quote}Why is Ben wearing dirty blue jeans today, and a white tie with a white shirt?

>

> What style is this? It's not grunge. It's not formal....

>

As others have queried, what makes you think the jeans are dirty? I suspect you just added the adjective "dirty" for effect. Jeans are no more "dirty" than any other apparel, in fact, they're easier to wash than a pair of formal dress pants.

And why can't someone wear jeans with a shirt and tie? In fact, I see it quite often - it's a good look. You're right, it's neither "grunge" nor "formal", but a comfortable in-between. What's wrong with that?

Edited by: misswonderly on Aug 4, 2013 6:18 PM

I associate the word "dirty" with dirt. Unwashed. I don't care about what's in vogue with regard to jeans. Over the past 4 decades jeans have undergone a myriad of transformations, and the look you describe must be just the latest one.

I suppose denim can be processed to "look dirty", but, clearly, if that's done on purpose, as part of the style of the jeans, they aren't necessarily really "dirty". So to complain that Ben Mankiewicz was wearing "dirty jeans" is still unfair and almost certainly inaccurate.

>So to complain that Ben Mankiewicz was wearing "dirty jeans" is still unfair and almost certainly inaccurate.

I'll try to explain it to you again.

This is the dirty-look type of casual fashion. They are often called "dirty wash" jeans. Before being sent to stores, the jeans are bleached then dyed with light brown dye to make them look old and dirty.

That's what he was wearing earlier today.

See this:

http://www.primermagazine.com/2008/learn/the-denim-dictionary-washes

"If the dirty wash is really exaggerated, the jeans may look very rockstar-ish rather than like a basic wardrobe staple."

Also see this:

http://kidsfashion.about.com/od/glossary/g/dirtywash.htm

Definition: Dirty washed jeans are like stone washed jeans in that they have been pre-washed to make them softer and to give them that worn-in look, but they have also been treated in a way that makes them appear dirty, or tinged beige, brown or khaki.

You don't need to explain it again. You isolated one sentence in my post to make it look like I had disregarded or misunderstood what you were saying about that process the jean manufacturers do to give their product that particular look.

I did not misunderstand. Here is what I said before the part you quoted:

"Over the past 4 decades jeans have undergone a myriad of transformations, and the look you describe must be just the latest one.

I suppose denim can be processed to "look dirty", but, clearly, if that's done on purpose, as part of the style of the jeans, they aren't necessarily really "dirty"..."

Clearly I'm acknowledging what you're saying about that "process", but what I'm saying is, obviously a process to make jeans "look" dirty, because for some ridiculous reason it's in fashion, is not the same as jeans actually being dirty (ie, sweat, food stains, coffee spills, etc.)

No need to include all those links. I mean, thanks, but I'm not particularly interested in how the process is done, and I just won't be spending the time to read those sites.

I can't believe we're arguing about jeans, dirty , clean, bleached, worn by Ben Mankiewicz or hung out to dry by Robert Osborne (hey, wonder if Mr. O. ever wears jeans on his days off?)

The point of this thread was an observation by the OP that Ben had changed his look, and he certainly has. I did prefer the earlier Mank style, but everything changes, including the Mank's wardrobe.