Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

On-Screen Pairings

vickix33

From watching many films over the years, I have become interested in the pairings of certain actors and actresses on-screen. Seeing a great on-screen pairing in a film makes it even more enjoyable to watch. Some of the pairings I enjoyed watching were Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton, Katherine Hepburn and Spencer Tracy, and Errol Flynn and Olivia de Havilland. One of the best pairings in my opinion would have to be William Powell and Myrna Loy. I loved watching them two in The Thin Man films because they played very well off one another and had great chemistry. Who do you think are some of the best on-screen pairings in film?

Edited by: vickix33 on Aug 5, 2013 2:26 PM

JAMES CAGNEY & ANN SHERIDAN had Great chemistry in CITY FOR CONQUEST. When Danny (Cagney) looks into Peggy's (Sheridan) eyes, it is pure chemistry. As well, Cagney had great chemistry with a lot of his leading ladies ! :)

DORIS DAY & JAMES GARNER were so believable together that people thought they were actually married.

Twink

I have always loved anything with Loy and Powell. They do have great chemistry. And they both seem to be able to play off other people very well, too. Loy was great with Gable, Grant, even Fredric March and I can watch William Powell with anyone.

Errol Flynn and Olivia deHavilland had great chemistry.

Cary Grant and Hepburn are great together too. As much as I like Katharine Hepburn, there are only a few of her co-stars that she connects with believably and he is definitely one of them. (Grant is another one of those stars who can connect with just about any co-star, I think.)

All things considered, I can't see anyone topping Powell and Loy. My runners-up would be Grant and Hepburn, MacMurray and Stanwyck, Bogey and Baby, Cagney and Blondell, Gabin and Lupino in Moontide, and on a different level, Mitchum and Greer in Out of the Past, Garland and Mason in A Star Is Born, and of course The Lone Ranger and Tonto.

Your post comes the closest to my favorite screen pairings. Agree with eveyone of your choices. Favorite is Myrna and Powell. Some others, Grant and Hepburn fantastic together, *Bringing Up Baby* on my list of all time favorite comedies and they were great in *Holiday* of course Hepburn and Tracy are up there with the rest. They were so perfect in *Pat and Mike* and *Adam's Rib* and *Desk Set* and the rest of their many films together.Loy and Grant in *The Bachelor and the Bobby Soxer* and *Mr Blandings Builds His Dream House* were also great. Garbo and Douglas in *Ninotchka* and *Two Faced Woman*. Everyone listed were all top notch actors and actresses, so can't go wrong picking any of the ones mentioned.

We've already done great male paitings on another thread, but figured it's bound to come up at some point. Lemmon and Mathau, Newman and Redford, etc.

Another couple I feel play well of each other is Clark Gable and Claudette Colbert in the film It Happen One Night. They have a lot of chemistry with one another on-screen and are very funny to watch. Also I like the pairing of Audrey Hepburn and Paul Varjak in Breakfast at Tiffany's. I find them to be a very sweet couple and love them both at the ending of the film. I do like Audrey Hepburn also with Gregory Peck in Roman Holiday. They are another great on-screen pairing that have a lot of chemistry between them.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings