Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TCM is trying to be another Cinemoi

classiccinemafan

I'll never forgive you TCM for not showing Frankenstein and Dracula this October. Those two films are the movies that started it all for horror. How can they show hammer's frankenstein / dracula and not Universal's ? This is a crime.What TCM trying to do ? become another Cinemoi with all of these british and french films they've shown the past couple months ? I hate the new background grapics. I liked the old jazzy theme from back in the 90s/early 2000s. The new grapics look and ugly and boring. It makes the channel look generic and boring. I hate those dvd ads. They're annoying. How can you people go on watching this channel without talking about these annoying ads ? and everytime some one goes against TCM's programming/graphics , you all flame the heck out of that poster. I'm a person just like you. I'm not here to start trouble. I just want to be heard. Everytime I come on here to start a topic, posters either ignore my post or it goes off topic by another poster. why is that ? that's what drivesme and new people away from the TCM board. We can't have a decent thread without it being taken over by someone else.

> I'll never forgive you TCM for not showing Frankenstein and Dracula this October.

There are also people who would complain if TCM were only showing the well-known horror films in October.

> Those two films are the movies that started it all for horror.

If FW Murnau and Tod Browning could hear that comment, they'd be spinning in their graves.

> How can they show hammer's frankenstein / dracula and not Universal's ? This is a crime.

Could you cite relevant case law on this?

> What TCM trying to do ? become another Cinemoi with all of these british and french films they've shown the past couple months ?

Cinemoi is no longer available anywhere as far as I know. And Fran?ois Truffaut made some of the best movies out there.

> I hate the new background grapics.

De gustibus non est disptandum.

> I liked the old jazzy theme from back in the 90s/early 2000s.

If you're talking about the bandbox, I've never understood why that has more to do with film than other openings. Of course, some people think it's nostalgic, like Chet Baker's singing, so that must make it superior

> The new grapics look and ugly and boring. It makes the channel look generic and boring.

They're easier to read

> I hate those dvd ads. They're annoying. How can you people go on watching this channel without talking about these annoying ads ?

They're paying for the acquisition of certain movies. Every time you see that Universal Westerns of the 50s ad, dollars to doughnuts it's helping to pay to acquire things like *Magnificent Obsession* or *Ruggles of Red Gap* (since Universal owns the 1930s and 1940s Paramounts). Ditto the stuff that's mentioned in the "Hi, this is the TCM Classic Movie News for {insert month here}" feature

> and everytime some one goes against TCM's programming/graphics , you all flame the heck out of that poster.

I agree. The people who think TCM is changing beyond recognition and are impervious to evidence that this is not the case flame those who try to present such evidence.

> I'm a person just like you. I'm not here to start trouble. I just want to be heard. Everytime I come on here to start a topic, posters either ignore my post or it goes off topic by another poster. why is that ?

Just a guess: your writing style makes you sound like you're raniting?

> that's what drivesme and new people away from the TCM board.

I thought it was the clunky interface myself

> We can't have a decent thread without it being taken over by someone else.

Have you tried starting indecent threads?

Hey, that was funny. I could point out the fact that there are issues with getting access rights to Universal films, but hey, why be a stick in the mud.

Now this comment came out of left field: Of course, some people think it's nostalgic, like Chet Baker's singing, so that must make it superior

I'm a big fan of Chet's playing but not his singing. Oh, I have many albums where he sings (e.g. two he did with Doug Raney, a great guitar player and son of Jimmy Raney), but I admit I don't know how to view the singing? It is camp? If I like it am I nuts?!

A few of my friends find it charming. But this is after a few bottles of wine.

Fedya, You cannot do what you did in the English language. If you quote a person there are rules. You cannot apply surgery to the quote which takes lines out of context. You need to leave the entire post alone. Then at the bottom you can answer all those answers you gave. Putting them between the lines of posted quotes is misuse of the quoting idea. You're destroting the context. People do it on the web because they think its ok or don't know any better. If you use English you need to learn the rules that govern its use.

(I did not use your words at all showing its not necessary to quote somebody to talk to them.)

There are 12 offenses of out of context. If he wants to answer the man there is nothing stopping him from doing so without applying surgery & destroying the context. The sum of the post means more that the manipulated parts. If you can't grasp this as simply as it is, then let me explain it another way: I answered you without using your words. If you cut up a post the way was done, you are guilty of misusing the English language. I would not do this & I dont like to see it done. Its trolling.

I don't view that reply as trolling at all. If anything is trolling it is the original post.

I see at least 12 different topics in that OP.

So when I see this written; Everytime I come on here to start a topic,,,I will admit I roll my eyes since I see just a bunch of misguided complaints instead of 'a topic'.

So for post like that, where one goes from one topic to another and doesn't even complete ideas on a topic, I think one has to break it down it order to response to it.

Directv discountinued Cinemoi a few weeks ago, was TCM competition?? Lol.

There is a new channel on called the FX Movie Channel (FXM) - seperate from the standard FX. Even it has commercials. :(

Been gone for a while - computer problems and did away with dial up.

> They are not his words to manipulate.

I didn't manipulate them at all. Manipulating would have been moving them around. That would be like one of those movie ads that quote a bunch of critics, where they'll quote a critic like "This is {...} a great movie!" where the word removied in the ellipsis is "not".

The original poster made a bunch of unrelated points, and I decided to answer them one by one. I figured it would make more sense to do it that way than to leave the wall of text there and answer the points with a wall of text of my own.

Edited by: Fedya on Aug 5, 2013 9:08 PM, because the screwed-up posting system makes it impossible to use square brackets, even when they're syntactically the correct thing to use.

> Now this comment came out of left field: Of course, some people think it's nostalgic, like Chet Baker's singing, so that must make it superior

I've seen a couple of people say how much they liked the old "Sunny Side of Life" opening. To me it never felt appropriate for "difficult" movies like, say, *The Lost Weekend* or *The Days of Wine and Roses*. It also didn't really have anything to do with movies. (I'd also argue that all those old openings had to be discontinued because they were in a 4:3 ratio, and TV is transitioning to 16:9 and high-def.)

There have also been posters who mentioned several times in the past that they'd like to see old AMC faces like Bob Dorian or Nick Clooney brought back.

I'm also a member of a game show discussion board, and there are people who get comically irritated when The Price Is Right changes set pieces in its games, to the point that other posters have the standard sarcastic reply, "Change is hard."

> {quote:title=Fedya wrote:}{quote}

> > I hate those dvd ads. They're annoying. How can you people go on watching this channel without talking about these annoying ads ?

Movies are a business, have always been a business and will always be a business. As long as they don't interrupt the movies, I couldn't care less about them.

OP is just angry about something, probably not related to this channel....

> {quote:title=Geraldddddd wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=Fedya wrote:}{quote}

> > > I hate those dvd ads. They're annoying. How can you people go on watching this channel without talking about these annoying ads ?

> .

> Movies are a business, have always been a business and will always be a business. As long as they don't interrupt the movies, I couldn't care less about them.

>

> OP is just angry about something, probably not related to this channel....

I agree with Geraldd . At least the movies are not interuped like they are on AMC. Nor do I find ads for DVDs annoying and in fact they can be helpful since it is a product that relates to the programs. The same with the cruise ads, at least they are not loud and blaring like other commercials. It could be a Lot worse, be thankful that it is not.

Twink

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings