Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
jtoxx

What movie is this?!

I've been scouring the internet trying to find out the name of a particular movie with no luck. A few years ago I was enrolled in an abnormal psychology course, and during class the instructor showed a clip from a black & white, 1940s-era American film to illustrate emotional bullying and the anxiety it causes. The scene featured a very pretty, but very quiet and anxious young woman and her heavy-set and overbearing companion (possibly an aunt), who criticized everything the younger woman did. In the scene they met with a handsome man in a restaurant on some matter of business, though the younger woman seemed to be there merely to accompany the heavy-set woman, if I remember correctly. At any rate, the man is meeting the younger woman for the first time and is obviously taken with her, and attempts to chat her up. She is confused and overwhelmed by the attention, and ends up awkwardly knocking over a vase of flowers on a table, and apologizes profusely. Throughout the scene the heavier woman is chastising and nitpicking at the younger woman.

I know thats not much to go on, but if anyone has any idea what movie this is from I would be eternally grateful!

I have a couple of suggestions in regards to the film you're thinking of: Rage in Heaven or Rebecca...I hope this helps in finding out what type of classic film you're looking for :)

I agree the scenes listed in the OP appear to be from Rebecca but as you imply these are multiple scenes. As you know Joan's employer was sick and therefore Joan went down to eat by herself. That is when she is joined by Olivier. (also she meets him before this scene when he is standing her a cliff and she thinks he might be planning on jumping off).

So either the OP means a different movie (unlikely), or they have mixed multiple scenes as one.