Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Alec Guinness

anhedoni3

As long as it is Alec Guinness Day I have to say that I am disappointed that "The Horse's Mouth" is not on the program. This is one of his best films. It is very funny (I love the duplex artists' studio created unintentionally). It's not exactly like the book but is has the book's spirit. Curious-Guiness played so many old men (as in this film) that I thought he must be a hundred years old by the time he played Obi Wan Kenobe. But he lived from 1914 to 2000.

They've got the next 8 hours tied up with two frequent-rerun epics, pushing one of this best films, KIND HEARTS AND CORONETS up to late at night, so a lot of people will miss it, and two of his films I've never seen are showing in the early AM hours tomorrow, at a time when I will be asleep.

> {quote:title=FredCDobbs wrote:}{quote}They've got the next 8 hours tied up with two frequent-rerun epics, pushing one of this best films, KIND HEARTS AND CORONETS up to late at night, so a lot of people will miss it, and two of his films I've never seen are showing in the early AM hours tomorrow, at a time when I will be asleep.

Yes, they are showing LAWRENCE OF ARABIA 'Again'! tonight at 8PM (Prime Time) and they showed GREAT EXPECTATIONS (1946) at 6AM today.

A Prime example of what you have been saying all along, the better less shown movies are played durning the wee hours of the day! ( I realize GE was shown the other day, nevertheless, how often has LOA been shown as oposed to Great Expectations ?)

Twink

Hello, anhedonia. Well, first, I'd like to say that I hope your condition is only temporary. (You're not an "Annie Hall" fan, by any chance, are you?)

Second, someone else here posted a thread with a link to an interview with the great Alec Guinness. Here it be:

http://forums.tcm.com/thread.jspa?threadID=170360&tstart=15

(or you can just go to page 2 of this forum.)

Third, I love Alec Guinness. A great actor. I'm not crazy about *The Horse's Mouth*, but I did see it only once, so maybe I should give it another chance.

There are many films starring this very talented British actor, he had a prolific career. Personally, I'm bored to tears with those 60s epic David Lean things, with or without Mr. Guinness. I wish they'd bury *Lawrence of Arabia* in that frigging desert, and pour a huge samovar of scalding Russion tea over *Dr. Zhivago*.

It's too bad they always show those two when they're featuring Alec Guiness on TCM because, as I say, the man made many movies. I really like all those Ealing comedies Guiness made. Yes, *The Ladykillers, The Lavender Hill Mob*, and *Kind Hearts and Coronets* do get aired frequently enough on the station, but there are a lot of good ones that never get screened.

*Barnacle Bill* and *The Captain's Paradise* are two wonderful British comedies starring Mr. Guiness. (Thanks to one friendly and helpful poster here who enabled me to see these rare gems !) But one they never seem to air is *Man in the White Suit*, a very funny and wry look at mass manufacturing, unions, and what happens when an inventive mind tries to mess with the two. I know it sounds "political", but it's not particularly. And the languid throaty-voiced Joan Greenwood co-stars; much too sexy for the naive character Guiness plays to know what to do with !

Edited by: misswonderly on Aug 3, 2013 5:22 PM

Oops, scratch "Laughter in Paradise". don't know what I was thinking. That's Alistair Sim.

Here is:

*Last Holiday* 1950

Alec Guinness ... George Bird

Beatrice Campbell ... Sheila Rockingham

Kay Walsh ... Mrs. Poole

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdrN7wsJI8w

When a lonely, unappreciated farm equipment salesman discovers he has only weeks to live, he withdraws his savings for a final holiday at a 'posh' resort.

> {quote:title=FredCDobbs wrote:}{quote}They've got the next 8 hours tied up with two frequent-rerun epics, pushing one of this best films, KIND HEARTS AND CORONETS up to late at night, so a lot of people will miss it, and two of his films I've never seen are showing in the early AM hours tomorrow, at a time when I will be asleep.

Maybe you have forgotten, not all of us live in the eastern time zone. That film shows at 9pm here. Perfect for us .

missw--I noticed the other day that The Man in the White Suit was on the Retro channel the other day, which is part of the Encore group of channels (don't know if you have that in the Great White North) so it's possible that they have the broadcast rights for it at the moment.

I just saw "Scapegoat" for the first time. Although I usually devour Robert Osborne's commentary, I have to admit that I see Bette Davis' point about Alec Guinness' poor acting in this movie. Bette almost invented the "twin" genre, with "A Stolen Life" and latter with "Dead Ringer". Osbourne's comment on the last airing of "A Stolen Life" was that the audience was never in doubt about which twin was with with Glenn Ford. She gave nuance to the character of each twin. Guinness did not choose to do that in "Scapegoat". Maybe it was just a different acting choice, but I, at least, missed the effort. And good for Bette for yelling tripe when tripe is served even from a great actor like Guinness.

By the way, in case anyone is wondering what on earth I meant when I remarked to the original poster:"I hope you recover from you condition soon": I wasnt' being weird (no more than usual.)

"Anhedonia" is apparently a psychological syndrome that means an inability to experience pleasure.

And the allusion to "Annie Hall" was due to the fact that "Anhedonia" was Woody Allen's original title for that film.

Just thought I ought to explain, otherwise people might think I was being rude to the poster.

Back to Alec Guinness. Carry on.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings