Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Summer Under The Stars

HoldenIsHere

I must say that I am pleasantly surprised with the Summer Under The Stars lineup this year.

In addition to days devoted to well-known favorites like Bette Davis, Henry Fonda, Gregory Peck and Elizabeth Taylor, it's nice to see tributes to Mary Boland, Ramon Novarro, Catherine Deneuve, Charles Coburn and Jeanne Crain.

Alas, even though both Natalie Wood and Steve McQueen have their day, LOVE WITH THE PROPER STRANGER is nowhere to be found.

Summer Under the Stars is "interesting", but I wonder why they do this every year. I'd think they lose viewership because people will only watch the films of those actors/actresses they like. The days they are playing movies of those someone doesn't care for, they won't watch TCM that day. Additionally, some of these stars are shown so much throughout the year, why bother to have a whole day devoted to them again in August?

> Summer Under the Stars is "interesting", but I wonder why they do this every year. I'd think they lose viewership because people will only watch the films of those actors/actresses they like. The days they are playing movies of those someone doesn't care for, they won't watch TCM that day. Additionally, some of these stars are shown so much throughout the year, why bother to have a whole day devoted to them again in August?

Well, they have been doing this kind of programming for quite sometime now. And in the past some of questioned why they keep showing the same films and the same stars. But this year they have done something completely different and yet unquestioned. This year clearly half the stars being given full day schedules have never been given this before.

As far as potentially driving off or loosing viewership, many fans look forward to this programming. In addition, TCM does not subscribe to any ratings services, so they are not apt to even consider viewership levels.

Summer Under the Stars is okay. I'm glad they are showing some different films and actors and actresses for a change. I generally tune in to TCM to see a particular film and not for a particular actor or actress. If I were coordinating the Summer Under the Stars, I'd love to see the following:

William Lundigan

Marlon Brando

Paul Newman

William Holden

Randolph Scott

Ralph Meeker

James Cagney

Dana Andrews

Vic Morrow

Tyrone Power

Montgomery Clift

Guy Madison

This would be a good start to the month and should take it to mid-way through the month....after that, I really wouldn't care. These actors are enough to satisfy me - although I'd need a good fan to cool me down, as I might hyper-ventilate :x

Edited by: movielover11 on Aug 4, 2013 8:33 PM

I would like to see them select actors whose names are not well known but who worked with many major stars.

The first one who comes to my mind is David Manners. He was good as a leading man in: *The Moonstone* (1934) and *The Warrior's Husband* (1933) and *The Death Kiss* (1932).

He had very credible roles also in:

*Dracula* (1931) with Bela Lugosi.

*The Mummy* (1932) with Boris Karloff

*They Call It Sin* (1932) with Loretta Young

*The Greeks Had a Word for Them* (1932) with Joan Blondell and Ina Claire.

*The Devil's in Love* (1933) with Loretta Young and J. Carrol Naish.

*Lady with a Past* (1932) with Constance Bennett