Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Jack Lemmon

vickix33

A couple of weeks ago I watched for the first time the film Some Like It Hot. I have always heard great things about it and the performaces by the cast so I was very eager to see it. I loved the film and what stood out to me the most was the performance of Jack Lemmon. Prior to this, I had never seen any of the films he was in. While watching the film, I found him extremely funny and after watching I wanted to see more of his performances. A couple of days ago I watch The Apartment starring Jack Lemmon. This was another film that I found to be excellent and was another great performace by Jack Lemmon as C.C. Baxter. I think he is amazaing at playing both comedic and dramatic roles. I am eager to see more movies with Jack Lemmon in them. Are there any specific films of his that are definietly worth watching? I have also heard good things about his performance in Days of Wine and Roses so I think I am definietly going to watch that one.

Vickix, Welcome to the Boards. All of the films mentioned so far are great. We'd be hard pressed to find a bad Jack Lemmon performance. He was wonderful. Another iconic performance was his Felix Unger in *The Odd Couple* .I believe that *Mr. Roberts* will be shown in August on TCM. It's a supporting role, it's an excellent film. Another funny film is *How To Murder Your Wife* he was great in that one and it is shown on TCM. Many of his films are shown on TCM, good to watch out for them. You won't be disappointed.

Edited by: lavenderblue19 on Aug 4, 2013 6:38 PM

Vickix33, its hard to go wrong watching any film with Jack Lemmon in it. As with any actor some films are just ok and others are real gems. Jack always gives a good performance. Thought of mostly for comedy Jack can give a very serious intense performance too. *Days Of Wine And Roses* proves that , it is very intense. And Jack got an early Oscar for his work in my all time favorite film, *Mister Roberts* . Just keep checking the schedule or better yet do a TCM search for Jack Lemmon, it will tell you what films of his are coming up in the next few months.

You might enjoy him in Irma la Douce, a film which I like alot. As in Some Like It Hot, Lemmon's character disguises himself, as the English client of a French prostitute, played by Shirley MacLaine. It's a very enjoyable, colorful movie with a great cast. It was based on a Broadway musical, but the songs are cut and used as background music.

I too enjoyed the film, Some Like It Hot and was equally impressed with the comedic talent of Jack Lemmon. Similarly to you, I have only just recently seen the film, with my sister. Not long afterwards I popped on into the living room to catch my sister watching The Apartment, also starring Jack Lemmon. As I began to watch the latter film, I started to get the impression that Jack Lemmon possesed great versitility as an actor; a thought which seems to be the general consensus of this thread.

By the way vickix33, if you are at all interested in the film Some Like it Hot, it may be of enjoyment for you to read the book written by Tony Curtis on the making of the film. I am rather confident that you will be able to find this read at your local library if you were to search for it.

Interview my dad did with Jack Lemmon on what makes a great director: [Jack Lemmon|http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAIeOC9Dj1U&list=PLMPg4RkqBExamQ9SC8xjmojtPvoqwObEs&index=11]

And for more interviews like this [www.youtube.com/orcodevelopment]

Some people on this board will think this film is way too modern to even consider, but maybe my favorite Lemmon performance ever is in THE CHINA SYNDROME. He tones down his usual mannerisms in a straight drama as an ordinary management type who finds himself into a situation where he must be heroic almost in spite of himself.

The "Lemmonisms" are more obviously on display in GLENGARRY GLENN ROSS, but he gets to do some great scenery chewing as his character runs the gamut of emtions from pitifully begging to smugly bragging to stunning revelations.

He is very much indeed wonderful! His roles were quite diverse and showed his great depth.

I like his characters in the movies others have mentioned in this thread. I will add:

One of my favorites of his is: *The Great Race* (1965) in which he plays the evil Professor Fate! :) It is so very funny that I am laughing now because I am remembering certain scenes. It is scheduled to air: Sunday, August 18.

I love also his role in: *Bell, Book and Candle* (1958) in which he plays a slightly incompetent wizard. I am sorry but that is wrong. The truth of the matter is that he is a totally incompetent wizard! It is scheduled to air: Thursday, September 19.

I like also: *Under the Yum Yum Tree* (1963) even although the movie is not regarded highly by many people. He is in it a lecherous landlord with designs on a naive new tenant. It is scheduled to air: Sunday, November 17.

It is sad to say that two of his performances which I also like very much are not scheduled at this time. They are: *Avanti!* (1972) and: *The Wackiest Ship in the Army* (1960).

Lemmon had many good roles in his long career and even though many have mentioned some of the same films I am going to list here, these are my favorites of him.....

Mister Roberts 1955

Cowboy with Glenn Ford 1958

Days of Wine and Roses 1962

The China Syndrome 1979

Missing 1982

That's Life with Julie Andrews 1986

Glengarry Glen Ross 1992

Grumpy Old Men with Walter Matthau 1993

Grumpier Old Men with Walter Matthau 1995

and television's Tuesdays with Morrie 1999

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings