Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Chuckster Day

Tomorrow we get some swell Charlton Heston movies like Soylent Green. That will make me appreciate my cheez-it crackers all the more. :P Will we see Chuck's first outing as Andrew Jackson in The President's Lady (1953) also starring Susan Hayward? No, of course not. Or my favorite Chuckster family film The Private War of Major Benson?,,,with a delightful performance by Julie Adams as the love interest? No, of course not again. :D

Soylent Green. I believe I'm going to be able to skip Purgatory because I saw that thing. I loved EGR in it, especially since the last scene he did was HIS last scene, and he knew it, but I must say I did not find it edifying. No.

The only Chuck Heston movie I ever liked was "Will Penny." THAT was a good picture. Maybe because his son directed it. I don't know. But he seemed a lot less frozen in it.

As long as TCM is willing to run old TNT made-for-TV movies (today's A MAN FOR ALL SEASONS), I wish they would find an excuse to run either THE WATER ENGINE or COLD SASSY TREE (with Richard Widmark and Faye Dunaway).

Okay, I have to admit I thought A Man For All Seasons was excellent. It was hardly a thrown-together-for-TV picture. The sets and cast were marvelous, the direction by Fraser Heston was wonderful. Even Chuck's accent was good. It wasn't quite British, which was fine, because Tudor English didn't sound like the Oxford accents we hear now from British actors, and that made it more authentic to me. It was really long, but the play is long, and written so beautifully you don't mind.

So it's Will Penny and this one, and Chuck's got one more on his side of the board.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings