Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

THIS ABOVE ALL (1942) ~ Tomorrow evening

Arturo

as part of Joan Fontaine`s SUTS day, TCM will show THIS ABOVE ALL itomorrow night. It features Tyrone Powers best dramatic performance of his early career imho, playing a British soldier gone awol, feeling no desire to fight for an empire to preserve its stratified class system. Joan Fontaine is the shy miss who shows him the errors of his ways. PS~ I believe this 20th Century Fox film is a TCM premiere.

For Joan fans, this is a great night (for those who can stay up) All 4 of her best roles (Suspicion, Rebecca, Constant Nymph and Letter From an Unknown Woman) as well as a TCM premiere (I thought it had been shown once before during Power day? Maybe not) Rare for a SUTS night........

Thanks for the heads up, Arturo. A number of little-known Anatole Litvak films have turned out to be worth watching: The Journey, Decision Before Dawn, The Long Night, City for Conquest, Blues in the Night, Five Miles to Midnight, etc. And Tyrone Power, too.

I really liked the pairing of Tyron Power and Joan Fontaine in this film. However, I disagree about Fontaine's character being a "shy miss", she is pretty forthrigth when she tells off her family when they object...well, I don't want to give away too many spoilers. The ending differs from that of the novel, but I again I won't say how it differs.

Hmmm, did the quote button disappear? Such is the price we must pay for turquoise, I guess.

No more colorful text either? Some improvements there guys. :)

Hibi said: Hope you get to see it. It was worth watching (not sure I'd want to see it again though) One of those rally cry WW2 movies. Well acted.

I agree, I'm glad that I saw it, lots of fine actors and nice settings, but it took its sweet time getting where you knew it was going to go.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings