Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
tcmfan4ever82!

Martin Balsam's SUTS spotlight

On Tuesday August 27th, Turner Classic Movies will devote 24hrs to the multi-talented Oscar winning actor Martin Balsam with a lineup of his films including The Anderson Tapes (1971), Time Limit (1957) directed by Karl Malden, Al Capone (1959), Seven Days in May (1964) & one of my personal favorites The Taking of Pelham One Two Three (1974) with Robert Shaw, Jerry Stiller, Earl Hindman and Walter Matthau. I didn't see many threads regarding Balsam but I thought that I would take this opportunity to commemorate and remember his cinematic legacy in a film/television career that's lasted for nearly 50 years on the silver screen (1947-1995); if there were other classic films that I would love for TCM to air they would be 12 Angry Men (1957), his Academy Award winning performance in A Thousand Clowns (1965), Catch-22 and Tora! Tora! Tora! (both from 1970), Murder on the Orient Express (1974) and even All the President's Men (1976) just to name a few. So I'd love to know as fellow classic film lovers, what's your take in regards to Martin Balsam and his filmworks, if you have any classic films that you'd wish TCM would air and what are some of your favorites Balsam's starred in from Hollywood's Golden Era in Films & Television?

Edited by: tcmfan4ever82! on Aug 6, 2013 5:43 AM

I don't think Balsam was ever a "star" of a movie, but he WAS, to me, a favorite face and presence in many.

I would add *Hombre* to that list.

Sepiatone

I agree that Martin Balsam is excellent in HOMBRE, which may never have been shown on TCM. He also has a fine scene in MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT.

I just wanted to thank TCM for the varied movies they gave us containing Martin Balsam. After thinking about it I realized I don't think I've ever seen an Actor's Tribute Day that pointed out how varied his performances had been during his lifetime. The choices were excellent.

My favorite was The Anderson Tapes. Amazing and very humorous.

> Martin Balsam is excellent in HOMBRE, which may never have been shown on TCM.

Why is that?

It's one of my very favorite western dramas.