Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

NOVEMBER SCHEDULE IS UP!!

And quite a lot of films from the History of Film special: Where is the Friend's Home, Days of Being Wild, Beau Travail, Yeleen, not to mention Repentance, which I've never seen, plus the always dispensable Funny Games, as well as Riffifi in the middle of the night. The documentary on avant garde filmmakers seems interesting

I was going through the schedule and I was finding it quite normal in that the selections are all very good movies even although not all of them are to my taste.

I had to stop when I began laughing very, very hard!

One entry is:

5:30 PM LOVE IN THE AFTERNOON (1957)

An aging American tycoon overcomes his inhibitions to court a young Parisian.

"Overcomes his inhibitions"? The man is on auto-pilot to seduce any and every woman he meets! The only time he might hesitate is if the woman is unattractive but as the woman in this instance is Audrey Hepburn that is clearly not the case.

I will peruse the remainder of the schedule when I have managed to stop laughing.

• 2 weeks later...

November will mark the 50th month that I've been following TCM like a hawk with DVD recorder always on alert, and I think it's finally beginning to dawn on me that from this point forward amnesia would be a big advantage. I can't recall seeing a schedule with so many great movies on it, but also with so few great "classic" movies that I haven't seen on the TCM schedule countless times before.

The continuation of The Story of Film series looks good, and of course the foreign movies are always a respite from the Same Old Same Old. But though the offering of "Classic era" films is nearly as good as any month I can remember, just about the only one that really jumps out that I can't remember seeing on TCM before is the 1937 Easy Living with Jean Arthur and Edward Arnold. Even with Burt Lancaster as SOTM there aren't many new ones, and still no Criss Cross. If only I could pop an amnesia pill and start all over again. ;-)

Thanks for the November schedule link.

Somehow I missed the Sectember and October links. Could they be repeated? I'd be most grateful.

I've tried to get them by editing the links provided but seem to get only the current month's schedule.

I read the message board most every week day --- no internet at home on weekends :( --- and watch hours of TCM :)

While all of us TCM message board veterans are aware of this, from time-to-time it's worth repeating for the benefit those folks who haven't been here too long.

TCM is the only network that puts its schedule out so far in advance and, like every other network's schedule, it's ALWAYS SUBJECT TO CHANGE,especially the farther out it goes.

Also, as many of our friends north of the border know, while the vast majority of the U.S.schedule is duplicated in Canada, there are occasional times when TCM can't clear the Canadian broadcast rights to certain films and has to substitute other titles.

So enjoy looking ahead and the anticipation of what's coming up, but do be prepared for a change now and then.

It's helpful to plan way ahead in the case you need to make extensive changes.

And as to viewer input, they absolutely do listen to the viewers. There are a very large number of films that I've been requesting which are going to show up in the next few months (and I've had many past successes with their "Suggest a Movie" page as well.)

Welcome to the boards, Jennifer. I'm sure you know that the schedule is subject to change, but you'd be surprise how many people around here don't. I love looking ahead too. Have fun.

I seen the schedule after fighting with the search bar for an hour. Nothing really good on in November. 'Who's that knocking on my door?' is a early Scorsese film. Was curious about seeing it.

October is a more exciting month for me. But disappointed and mad they're not showing Universal's Dracula and Frankenstein.

> markfp2 wrote:

> TCM is the only network that puts its schedule out so far in advance

I liked very much when for a while there was a notice at the top of some pages congratulating the user on finding TCM's secret advance schedule. :)

I believe that all channels must have their schedules prepared three months in advance so that it can be distributed to printers and schedule services. TCM is the only channel of which I know which regularly makes these advance schedules available to common viewers.

I use to work in TV programming for a lot of years and I can tell you that every network and local channel has schedules in the works for many months ahead, not every one is complete but certainly being worked on, but they rarely release, even the complete ones, more than 3-4 weeks (the deadline to get them in printed magazines like TV Guide) for the very reason that there are changes happening all the time.

TCM is the exception and the only reason I can see that they do that is to please us. Considering the amount of grief they take on these boards when they have to change something, it amazes me that they still even bother. It would probably be a lot easier for them just to release the schedule one month at a time when Now Playing comes out.

Edited by: markfp2 on Aug 26, 2013 1:45 AM

> markfp2 wrote:

> they rarely release, even the complete ones, more than 3-4 weeks (the deadline to get them in printed magazines like TV Guide)

It is my understanding that TCM must give the schedule to the printers for the: Now Playing guide far in advance because it must be printed and delivered approx. a month before the cover date.

I worked as an intern at an independent television station when I first arrived here because of a legal problem with my expected employment and I had to be employed at all times. I know they had items scheduled many months in advance because they had to reserve movies from some distributors It was a frequent problem that they had expected a movie and then were told only a month before it was scheduled that it was not truly available.

> markfp2 said:

> Hey, SansFin how'd you get the quote and the smiley face back.? I haven't been able to do that since the change.

I do it manually. To set off a portion as a quote you need only use the greater than sign: ">" as the first character on the line and then paste the quote after it.

A smiley is simply a: colon ":" and: a parenthesis ")" such as : ) but with no space between them.

> I do it manually. To set off a portion as a quote you need only use the greater than sign: ">" as the first character on the line and then paste the quote after it.

Thanks, it works.

• 2 weeks later...