Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

OK, I've had it with the frigging SPAM !

misswonderly3

I was tempted to just title this thread "Ok, I've had it !" because it's more intriguing. Everyone would click my thread if only to see what I'd "had it" with. ( Hmm, that sounds a little weird.)

But I knew people would be disappointed when they saw I was just talking about SPAM, same old same old, so I didn't have the heart to mislead them.

So, my message board cards are right there on the table:

What the frig is going on with the excess SPAM this site has been getting lately? Ok, it was always a problem, but the past month or so it's graduated from a problem to an epidemic.

If the TCM techies are working on revamping this website, maybe they could revamp it in such a way that this stupid boring insulting bullshite could be spotted and zapped before it ever even reaches the boards.

What does it matter? why do I care? I DON'T KNOW ! It's partly that it's so idiotically written, I suspect it's posted by a robot. And usually there's not just 1 spam thread, there are 2 or 3 all at the same time. It's like a pod invasion.

Plus, they bump out proper threads, down to the dreaded page 2 level.

Most of all, they are stupid stupid stupid and I hate them ! Plus, my venting like this makes me feel like I'm leading a worthy cause here, and justifies my spending time here instead of turning off the computer and doing productive work.

Anyway, come on people ! SPAM HATERS OF THE WORLD UNITE ! RISE UP AND SLAUGHTER THE SPAM ! ! ! THERE IS STRENGTH IN NUMBERS !

ARISE, I SAY, AND CAST OFF THIS YOKE OF OPPRESSION, THIS SPAM WHICH IS WREAKING HAVOC AND POLLUTING OUR PRECIOUS BODILY FLUIDS ! ! !

Well, that was fun. Come, commisserate with me. ("commiserate" ?)

• Like 1

I love the scene in BATTLEGROUND when the airplanes were finally able to break through the clouds and fog and drop new food supplies. One of soldiers opened up a food crate and it was filled with cans of Spam. The soldiers just looked down at it and had a very disappointed look on their faces. Lol. :)

I don't know anyone who likes it, except it seems to be very popular among native Hawaiians, who seem to love it

"Hush, darling, don't make a fuss...I'll eat your spam. Mmm, I love it !"

Ok, canned meat is yucky. But so are canned posts, and that's what's been cluttering up the boards here now for weeks.

I know compared to the state of global relations etc. it's a teesny tinesy problem, but it offends my delicate sensiblities. Take it away, please...

Has anyone here actually clicked one of those links? Please come forward and tell your story. My feeling is that these people (or maybe, as you suggested, robots) aren't so much selling something as trying to steal something, anything they can access once you establish that precious link for them. The fact that they're so idiotically written seems to indicate that it originates with people who don't have more than a basic grasp of the English language, though I'll refrain from mentioning who I actually suspect since everybody has their defenders these days and I'm not up for being piled upon. Some of it seems like stuff that's been appropriated from any old English-languge publication, some of it even starting in mid-sentence, with their scary links randomly scattered throughout. It doesn't seem like they get that there's a difference between classic films and Hollywood's latest juggernauts. TCM is a movie site, right?, so let's do our trolling there.

>I don't know anyone who likes it, except it seems to be very popular among native Hawaiians, who seem to love it.

That's 'cause they know how to make it edible. Ya just slice up the stuff in 1/2" thick strips, fry it up in a pan, and add a pineapple ring to it on a hamburger bun, and it ain't half bad!

(...I used to hate the stuff myself ya see, but then they opened a Hawaiian fast food restaurant near my old place of employment of LAX, and after a while I got hooked on it for lunch)

So, I gather people are more interested in SPAM the canned meat than SPAM the canned posts.

I guess there are other things more enrage-worthy.

Still, am I the only one who does get enraged by it? This must be the part where I shamble off murmuring "I have to get a life..."

> {quote:title=misswonderly wrote:}{quote}So, I gather people are more interested in SPAM the canned meat than SPAM the canned posts.

Well, misswonderly, it could be worse, we could be having a discussion on the merit of Canned Heat.

missW. You're not the only one. The spam is a nuisance and annoying. Hopefully, while they're updating the site they'll figure out how to rid us of it, though I doubt it. You know they register under different monikers each time, so there isn't that much control, not unlike how some posters have come back reincarnated, and seem to have slipped under the radar. Anyway, back to spam. I agree it gets in the way of other threads, but they are doing a good job of getting rid of the posts quickly, so for now that's probably the best we can hope for. btw, between your kids and husband and activities you seem like you have a very nice life ;)

Assuming we are talking about the same spam post (those that have a few words about recently released movies and than a bunch of links); I use the report abuse feature and the thread is taken down within a few hours (or at least by the next day).

Edited by: jamesjazzguitar on Aug 7, 2013 6:17 PM

I will often see some in the early hours of the morning. It is gone later in the day.

I believe all forums have similar problems which is why many require a new member to wait for approval before they can post.

I like the canned meat if it is sliced and fried and incorporated into scrambled eggs. I have found it acceptable in other dishes.

I find it to be a rational alternative to tofu.

I can usually recognize a spam thread immediately by its senseless topic title and idiotic user name.Even before I click it, which I only do to report it as "abuse".(The only time I ever do that, by the way.)

Hey, does anyone know how this annoying internet clutter came to be called by the same name as the canned meat product eveyone's talking about?

> {quote:title=misswonderly wrote:}{quote}

> Hey, does anyone know how this annoying internet clutter came to be called by the same name as the canned meat product eveyone's talking about?

I have seen it many times attributed to this:

The inference is that it is not possible to escape its presence.

I just happened to return to this site a few minutes ago, and there they were ! It's like they appear to torment me !

I reported them as "abuse" immediately, and in the "comments" section, asked admin if they could check out this thread. Or at any rate, figure out some way to screen the horrible stuff.

> {quote:title=Dargo2 wrote:}{quote}

> > I don't know anyone who likes it, except it seems to be very popular among native Hawaiians, who seem to love it.

> That's 'cause they know how to make it edible. Ya just slice up the stuff in 1/2" thick strips, fry it up in a pan, and add a pineapple ring to it on a hamburger bun, and it ain't half bad!

>

> (...I used to hate the stuff myself ya see, but then they opened a Hawaiian fast food restaurant near my old place of employment of LAX, and after a while I got hooked on it for lunch)

>

When I was a kid, my Mom used to make something called "Ham Loaf Hawaiian" which was Spam, sliced almost all the way through, with cloves stuck into the "meat" and pineapple rings inserted into the cuts. Then the whole thing is sprinkled liberally with brown sugar and baked. That, along with "City Chicken" (breaded mystery meat on a stick) tuna casserole and Jello with canned fruit in were staples of my childhood. (And will likely feature prominantly in my therapy, should I ever avail myself of it)

See this message from the TCMWebAdmin:

*Posted By: TCMWebAdmin*

*Created in: System: Global Announcement*

*Posted: May 4, 2006 11:51 AM*

*To report spam on the TCM message boards, please send an email to tcm@turner.com. Be sure to provide us with their user id.*

*We aim to make your time on the TCM message boards a spam-free experience.*

*TCMWebAdmin*

SPAM as an acceptable alternative to TOFU?

YAK DUNG is an acceptable alternative to TOFU. So THAT'S not saying much.

SPAM, the canned meat, is pretty good, as one alluded to, in certain culinary applications. We sometimes cube it, fry it and mix it with scambled eggs. Same with leftover Kielbasa and chorizo.

SPAM of the kind the OP refers to is totally inpallatable. Like, WHO here, in a forum about classic movies, CARES about what's happening on "Glee" or the 29th season of "Big Brother"? I certainly don't see what they hope to accomplish, except if being VILLIFIED is their aim. THEN they've succeeded hands down!

Sepiatone

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings