Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Witchfinder General aka The Conquerer Worm on November 1

Swithin

I see that TCM will be airing The Conqueror Worm on November 1. That's the US-release name of the one of the greatest UK horror films: Witchfinder General. But I HOPE that TCM will be showing the UK version. I don't mind that the US version has Vincent Price reading Poe's poem over the title -- although the movie has nothing to do with Poe, the poem is actually relevant. But the UK version has an INCREDIBLE music score that is intrinsic to the plot. Paul Ferris' score enhances the message of evil in the midst of so much beauty. For some reason, the US version has a different music score. PLEASE TCM, use the UK version, which I first saw at the Museum of Modern Art in NYC many years ago. This is one of the great horror films of all time. It so depicts the omnipresence of evil that even the audience is corrupted by the end of the film. There are also many censored versions of the film, so I hope care is taken to present the full version. The director of this film died a several months after the film was completed, possibly a suicide. This is a bleak, though oddly beautiful film, despite the pessimistic view of human nature. Here's an example of the original music:

> {quote:title=Swithin wrote:}{quote}I see that TCM will be airing *The Conquerer Worm* on November 1. That's the US-release name of the one of the greatest UK horror films: *Witchfinder General.* But I HOPE that TCM will be showing the UK version. I don't mind that the US version has Vincent Price reading Poe's poem over the title -- although the movie has nothing to do with Poe, the poem is actually relevant. But the UK version has an INCREDIBLE music score that is intrinsic to the plot. Paul Ferris' score enhances the message of evil in the midst of so much beauty. For some reason, the US version has a different music score. PLEASE TCM, use the UK version, which I first saw at the Museum of Modern Art in NYC many years ago. This is one of the great horror films of all times. It so depicts the omnipresence of evil that even the audience is corrupted by the end of the film.

>

> There are also many censored versions of the film, so I hope care is taken to present the full version. The director of this film died a few weeks after the film was completed, possibly a suicide. This is a bleak, though oddly beautiful film, despite the pessimistic view of human nature.

>

>

>

>

>

> Here's an example of the original music:

>

I like this movie but Price is too restrained and the film certainly is not historically accurate as Matthew Hopkins died aged 28...and ol' Vincent is certainly older than that in this picture. A nice turn by Patrick Wymark as Oliver Cromwell. Lets see TCM show Mark of the Devil uncut. :D...you mispelled conqueror. :^0

Sorry for the misspelling, so clever of you to notice. The film was never intended to be a documentary! Many (including Vincent Price) consider it to be one of Price's finest performances -- less campy, more subversively evil. A shame that the director died so young. The Wikipedia entry for the film is actually quite interesting.

Michael Reeves wanted Donald Pleasance & was forced to accept Vincent Price. Donald Pleasance would have been a better choice. Although Vincent Price has a bigger name, the part calls for a person who does not know himself. Donald Pleasance has a unique style. AIP was a co- producer on the movie but removing the entire soundtrack music is insane and bad judgment. The music they chose was inappropriate. The original music was very good and suitable for the story. There was no need to scrap the music. Thats the movie biz for ya. Stranger than fiction. Funny thing is Conqueror Worm was shown on tv with the original music. It was not changed until the mid 70's. TCM will most likely show The Conqueror Worm with the bad music.

I may be mistaken, but I recall TCM airing WITCHFINDER GENERAL in its original form late one Friday night. I'm not sure if it was part of TCM Underground, but I do recall seeing it about seven or eight years ago.

I remembered when I first saw it on television around 1970 when it was called "The Conqueror Worm". It appeared on the old CBS Late Night movies and noticed how violent it was for the time period.

People today will break out the weiners and marshmellows while viewing it. :P

600full-witchfinder-general-screenshot.j

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings