Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Fred MacMurray Day

Good ol' Fred MacMurray who never ever turned in a bad performance on screen. My recommendations are Calloway Went Thataway which I find mildly amusing and Murder, He Says, a comedic gem courtesy of George Marshall. Fred's a pollster who runs afoul of a hillbilly clan the Fleagles led by Marjorie Main and her 2 sons Mert & Bert, I ferget which one has the crick in his neck, and sweet harmless singing Elany Fleagle and later on Bonnie Fleagle (Barbara Pepper) shows up. Decades later Barbara Pepper would make us all laugh as Doris Ziffel on Green Acres...later on rotation stalwart Double Indemnity shows up again and newest rotation-bait There's Always Tomorrow on for a 3rd time now but the first time was more than enough for me. :| I'd like to see TCM make a greater effort to break out the Fred MacMurray Disney movies, not the absent-minded professor / flubber movies but the less seen ones like Bon Voyage! and Follow Me, Boys, I'd even be happy to take another look at The Happiest Millionaire. :P

For many of us "boomers", who's first introduction to MacMurray was in the affable, easy going Dad STEVE DOUGLAS in TV's *My Three Sons* , it took some work to separate his TV persona from his film history characters. When I first saw *The Egg And I* , many years ago, I kept waiting for WILLIAM FRAWLEY to show up griping at him and fixing dinner. Same thing with *Double Indemnity* . But over time, we, or at least I, came to recognize MacMurray as a versitile actor with decent chops.

Looking forward to MacMurray day.

Sepiatone

Just thinking about MURDER, HE SAYS puts a big smile on my face. TCM has done a lot to help us discover this forgotten gem, first by showing it at the initial TCM Film Festival, where it was a big hit, and then by showing it from time to time on the network.

Before TCM first aired MURDER HE SAYS couple or so years back , this seems to have been one of the most requested movies for airing, and for DVD release. I was reminded of this yesterday when I did a search for a thread done about the time of this first showing, but couldnt find it. but there were comments coming up going back to the millenium asking about the status of MHS. Great fun, and cant wait to watch it again, and relive my childhood, when it would regularly play on the Family Film Festival. here on KTLA.

Edited by: Arturo on Aug 7, 2013 3:33 PM

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings