Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Photos of the DOUBLE INDEMNITY house....

FredCDobbs

On Google Images, use this search term for a lot of photos:

*california spanish revival homes*

AND ALSO SEE THIS:

http://www.realtor.com/home-garden/home-styles/spanish-eclectic.aspx

Origins of the Spanish Eclectic house style

Spanish-inspired homes were first built in California in the early part of the 20th century, and were called Spanish Colonial Revival. But they really borrowed elements of all types of Mediterranean models. This broad base of sources made it relatively easy to create a believable harmony among the exterior image, interior space, decorative elements, and the building's function.

The opening of the Panama Canal and the Panama-California Exposition of 1915 in San Diego, Calif., trained the national spotlight on this mixed, but heavily Spanish, style. Architect Bertram G. Goodhue, who was the lead designer of the exposition, gets much credit for popularizing the style with his focus on it as unifying design concept for the fair.

Movies Spread Popularity

The American movie industry of the early 1900s also helped to spread the popularity of the Spanish-style house. Movie stars were often photographed sunning themselves by the pools behind their Spanish Colonial mansions.

The Spanish house movement enjoyed its greatest popularity between 1915 and 1931 and was most often exhibited in single-level detached houses.

The influence of the Spanish Eclectic house style lives on as a national type in its influence on the Ranch house. The characteristic L- or U-shaped Ranch house floor plan, with a protected patio in the courtyard, derives from the California Spanish style ranchos of the late 1830s.

I've seen a lot of Mitzer Homes in Palm Beach that you can't help but fall in love with. They are still as popular today as when they were built, if not more so! Mar-A-Lago is something else ! I don't know if that is one of his homes or not.

Edited by: twinkeee on Aug 7, 2013 11:01 PM

> {quote:title=willbefree25 wrote:}{quote}I've seen a lot of Mitzer Homes in Palm Beach

>

> If they look like this one, they must be breath taking.

>

> If you want to see the house on Google Earth, and without the nauseating cheesecake shots, see here:

>

> 6301 Quebec Drive, Hollywood Hills

>

> From here:

>

> http://dearoldhollywood.blogspot.com/2009/05/double-indemnity-film-locations.html

Yes they are "breathtaking" !

It is nice to see that the ART DECO Style is making a comeback, which is apparent in the DOUBLE INDEMNITY House ! :)

Twink

Read the article that is posted. The Heading of it reads " ART DECO Glamor " !

The current owner decorated the INTERIOR in Art Deco . :)

Twink

PS..... 8 posts below yours, FredC's post.

Edited by: twinkeee on Aug 8, 2013 2:55 PM

Love that house. I wonder what it would sell for NOW? Probably over a million I'm sure, if not more. Only drawback is it seems to sit on a small lot. Love that foyer. I would think of the film every time I passed through it. LOL.

Did they replicate the interior of the house for the movie? It seems to me, considering how movies were made back then( lighting, cameras, on set staff, etc.), there wouldn't have been enough ROOM inside for that sort of thing.

Sepiatone

>Only drawback is it seems to sit on a small lot.

Welcome to the world of Southern California real estate, Hibi. My house there sat on less than 1/4 acre. I often felt like this guy in that old Right Guard commercial who opens his medicine cabinet to discover his next door neighbor(Chuck McCann) saying "Hi Guy!"

LOL

(...btw, I wonder if we Zillow-ed that address if we'd find its present market value...I'm guessin' it's at about $1.5M to $2M)

You hit the nail on the head, Dargo:

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/6301-Quebec-Dr-Los-Angeles-CA-90068/20807072_zpid/

h3. Zestimate: $1,471,737

Not always accurate, but usually close.

Not sure when Tootsie bought it - or was she just the interior designer? - but the last buyer was in 1996.

* *Last Sold:** Aug 1996 for $585,000

HEY! I'm pretty good, huh?! ;)

In '96, SoCal real estate had reached its nadir during the previously bursted bubble of '91, due primarily to the closing of many of the SoCal defense plants at that time and which many people didn't realize supported a lot of the local economy. In fact, I remember in my neighborhood I could walk down my street and it seemed every third or fourth home had a For Sale sign planted in its front yard.

It was just after that when home prices began increasing rapidly again and once again got ridiculously out of hand until the latest bubble burst.

• 2 years later...

It's on tonight!!!

:)

Here's a cool blog with some crazy, way-out photos, man... of the Double Indemnity house. Dig it, man.

:P

Click  HERE      (link re-posted from an earlier post)

FredCDobbs' original post still has it's (way out cool) link to some great modern interior shots.. IN COLOR !!

IPfkfXF.jpg

LOL. The cost of living in SoCal.........

Well the cost of living in SoCal is also relative.   If one purchased their house after one of the crashes (like I did),  they have a fairly modest monthly mortgage payment.   One can than sell the home when the market is 'hot',  move to an area where housing cost are much lower,  buy a home for cash and have a lot of cash leftover for retirement.

IF I ever take another trip out to the west coast and the L A area, that's another site I would mind checking out ( along with the house up on the hill in Robert Mitchum's ANGEL FACE, the Laurel and Hardy "steps", etc)  I should start compiling a list, of course I would forget to bring it along on the trip.  Probably remember about the list when passing through Barstow, now should I turn around and go home to get the list, its only about 3000 miles? 

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings