Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I only tuned in for a few moments

slaytonf

while I decided what to watch. I'd already seen The Student Prince in Old Heidelberg before, and I liked it, but I didn't feel the need to see it again. I have to admit, most silent films are hard for me to watch. Mostly because, I think, growing up with dialogue made listening to an almost continual score working to assist in plot development, and the visual conventions of silents are tiring for my mind to cope with. But the The Student Prince is so energetic, so involving, that I ended up watching the entire thing. Ernst Lubitsch is recognized for the refinement and worldliness of his comedy, not so much for his images. But here he is clearly enthusiastic about the visual potential. An early scene in the beer garden is a good example, when he tracks along with Kathi rushing past the massed student heads carrying their steins. And a few moments later when she is carried on their shoulders amid the now swirling heads. That would be something to see on a big screen. The movie is also filled with the kind of visual wit characteristic of silent films, as in the scene showing a professor lecturing his class, which changes to a shot of the classroom empty except for one student. This all dropped out of movies with sound, Lubitsch's included. Dialogue presumably taking its place.

Glad you enjoyed this great, great picture. It goes without saying that I wish that THE STUDENT PRINCE or OLD HEIDELBERG as I generally refer to it get a full proper restoration and DVD and Blu-ray release. But I would also like to see TCM run more Lubitsch Silents. About the only other ones they have shown are LADY WINDERMERE'S FAN (1925), and possibly THE MARRIAGE CIRCLE (1924) a long time ago. SO THIS IS PARIS (1926) aired a couple years ago in a beautiful print on TCM France. Hasn't been shown here though.

It would be nice to see FORBIDDEN PARADISE (1924) with Pola Negri, Rod La Rocque, Adolph Menjou and Pauline Starke. It is not a lost film. Several of Lubitsch early German Silents are on DVD from Kino in beautiful crisp clear transfer. Stuff such as THE OYSTER PRINCESS, THE WILDCAT, AND THE DOLL. All terrific and highly influential pictures. TCM hasn't run those either.

> {quote:title=gagman66 wrote:}{quote}Glad you enjoyed this great, great picture. It goes without saying that I wish that THE STUDENT PRINCE or OLD HEIDELBERG as I generally refer to it get a full proper restoration and DVD and Blu-ray release. But I would also like to see TCM run more Lubitsch Silents. About the only other ones they have shown are LADY WINDERMERE'S FAN (1925), and possibly THE MARRIAGE CIRCLE (1924) a long time ago. SO THIS IS PARIS (1926) aired a couple years ago in a beautiful print on TCM France. Hasn't been shown here though.

>

> It would be nice to see FORBIDDEN PARADISE (1924) with Pola Negri, Rod La Rocque, Adolph Menjou and Pauline Starke. It is not a lost film. Several of Lubitsch early German Silents are on DVD from Kino in beautiful crisp clear transfer. Stuff such as THE OYSTER PRINCESS, THE WILDCAT, AND THE DOLL. All terrific and highly influential pictures. TCM hasn't run those either.

Now there is a PERFECT Example as to why we should see less of movies like Gaslight, The Women (as much as I love that movie), and others that are constantly shown over & over again and more movies that you mentioned.

Having seen my first Silent tonight, ( that's the third time I have mentioned that), I am looking forward to seeing more of them !

Twink

Having seen my first Silent tonight,

Wait, what??? :)

Take it from me, and I no longer can tolerate silents, you HAVE to watch ALL of Buster Keaton and Harold Lloyd's silent pictures!

You have to!!!

I envy you, seeing them for the first time. They are magnificent.

> {quote:title=willbefree25 wrote:}{quote}Having seen my first Silent tonight,

>

> Wait, what??? :)

>

> Take it from me, and I no longer can tolerate silents, you HAVE to watch ALL of Buster Keaton and Harold Lloyd's silent pictures!

>

> You have to!!!

>

> I envy you, seeing them for the first time. They are magnificent.

Thank You willbefree25 for that suggestion !

I am looking forward to watching the movies you mentioned and hopefully they will be shown on TCM soon. The fact that they are "Magnificent" makes me even more anxious to see them !

Twink

I'm not too crazy about silents myself( except in willbe's suggestion of Keaton and Lloyd silents), but the silent version of THE STUDENT PRINCE was a refreshing break from the MARIO LANZA ear stabber. I don't reject ALL silents, but they do get hard for me to take after a while. Especially if the score was redone by some punk composer who tries to redo that score ala Stravinsky.

Sepiatone

> {quote:title=Sepiatone wrote:}{quote}

> I'm not too crazy about silents myself( except in willbe's suggestion of Keaton and Lloyd silents), but the silent version of THE STUDENT PRINCE was a refreshing break from the MARIO LANZA ear stabber. I don't reject ALL silents, but they do get hard for me to take after a while. Especially if the score was redone by some punk composer who tries to redo that score ala Stravinsky.

>

> Sepiatone

>

I warched BEN HUR (1925) last night and that was the First Silent 'Ever' that I have watched !

Now I am looking forward to watching more of them...I was always under the impression that they were boring, but I find it is to the contrary !

Twink

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings