Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Fail-Safe

I just don't buy it. Okay, moscow is nuked and millions are dead so a u.s. president is calmly going to order the nuking of a major american city to avoid an all-out thermonuclear war? First off, after telling the american people of the unfortunate events leading up to the president feeling that he could do nothing else to placate the russians would cause the immediate impeachment and arrest of President Fonda and General Bogen and all complicit parties and the immediate establishment of the pentagon joint chiefs of staff as a temporary government. The conclusion of fail-safe is therefore lunacy. ]:) In the real world, President Fonda would have said to the russians tough schlitz! YOU jammed our communications with our bomber group and that's what sent them careening torwards moscow. I asked Col. Grady to forget his orders but it was too late for that. The truth is that if not for the jamming none of this would ever have happened. You want me to now nuke NYC? My own people would have me in a straight-jacket! Moscow's gone. Let the insanity stop there. Sorry that you guys come out on the short end but that's life. :P

FlyBack...AGAIN?! I mean isn't this now the second thread you've started about the unlikelihood of this ending to "Fail-Safe" that you've started in a week's time?

Look my friend, the story is an Allegory, and yes, very often allegorical tales are not totally based in reality, but are in fact very often "enhanced" to make their point. And of course, the point of "Fail-Safe" was a warning to its audience that NOTHING in life is infallible.

I think what might be confusin' ya here is that so much of film DOES admittedly seem to be a super-realistic presentation of the 1960s era Strategic Air Command..."The Big Board" and all.

Lemme guess MM...you're thinkin' some o' those "Weak Sister" types like Fredric March says Burt Lancaster thinks his President is in a certain OTHER movie set in the month of May, RIGHT??? LOL

(...no need to answer this, BTW...in fact it's probably better if ya didn't)

"Fail Safe" is mostly an anti-war movie. Could an accidental bombing occur.....how close we have came.

http://nuclearfiles.org/menu/key-issues/nuclear-weapons/issues/accidents/20-mishaps-maybe-caused-nuclear-war.htm

http://www.cracked.com/article_19790_6-tiny-mistakes-that-almost-ended-world.html

So far fail safe system seems to be working, whew.

There is a discussion forum about "Fail Safe", a member - Riboflavin seems to have a logical view of why we wouldn't nuke one of our own cites. Question is, how logical would our government be.

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=111550

The only solution is to get rid of nukes but now we have the threat of rogue nations like North Korea to worry about. The genie will never be put back in the bottle.

Nice thing is cooler heads have prevailed.

LOL

And of course IF it ever DID come to a vote, it would be voted down...though NOT because of any "human factor", but because all the NYC-based corporations would've had their lobbyists "contribute" enough to the re-election campaigns of all the congressmen in order to assure a vote for the city's continual existence!!!

(...and I'll betcha I'm RIGHT, too!!!) ;)

LOL

Not Newark. Too close to my old home town, though it could have been

sold as part of LBJ's War on Poverty.

I was wondering who that actress was. I didn't catch the name in the

closing credits. Quite the D.C. party girl. She was a little slutty and

Matthau turned out to be a little nutty. I bet Wilbur Mill wouldn't have

slapped her.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings