Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Claudette Colbert on her theatre experience

OrcoDev

Hey classic movie fans, thought you'd enjoy this interview my dad did with Ms. Claudette Colbert in service of his educational program. And if you like this interview, feel free to browse our youtube channel for others.

[Claudette Colbert|http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjAnKuKfcow&list=PLMPg4RkqBExamQ9SC8xjmojtPvoqwObEs&index=1]

What actors do you love that have graced the stage as well as the screen?

Youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/orcodevelopment

Info on educational program http://www.orcodevelopment.org

Edited by: OrcoDev on Aug 9, 2013 6:51 PM

Edited by: OrcoDev on Aug 10, 2013 1:56 PM

Thanks very much for giving us access to some of your Dad's interview with Miss Colbert. She spoke of how instantly comfortable she felt on stage, though at the same time, off stage, she would be uncomfortable walking into a living room filled with people. Colbert joins a long list of stars, it seems, who were essentially shy, yet had a career living in the spotlight.

What actors do we love that graced both the stage and the screen?

Since the largest majority of "classic" film stars DID start off on stage( Bogart, Tracy, Robinson, the Barrymores, Hepburn, etc.), You'll be in for long lists.

Sepiatone

Lillian Gish did alot of theater, on Broadway (particularly after her silent film days) and on tour. She was John Gielgud's Ophelia to his 1936 New York Hamlet (with Judith Anderson as Gertrude). Miss Gish also created the leading role in A TRIP TO BOUNTIFUL on stage. Most actors had rich stage careers; for some, like Charles Coburn, it was his first love. He and his wife Ivah Wills Coburn had very extensive stage careers. Of course Kate Hepburn also performed on stage. THE PHILADELPHIA STORY started as a play.

I saw Kate Hupburn on stage in L.A. After the show she came out and talked and spent a nice amount of time with us. She said she did this because this could be her last performance there. (I don't know if it was), and that she was known for not liking Hollywood and Southern California. She said that wasn't true. This is the only time I saw such a major studio era star live and being so casual.

That's a really cool story James. Based on what I've heard about Ms. Hepburn she wasn't exactly the sentimental type so the fact that she wanted to connect with her fans like that was I'm sure a special moment for all involved.

Actually, I have heard Kate was a sweetie to people she worked with, unlike, say, Davis. She always did something to put the cast and crew at ease when she started a project (film or play). Sometimes she paid for extra craft service (food), other times she just schmoozed to put them at ease. I've worked with many of her friends, and her friendliness always comes up. Zoe Caldwell tells the story of when Kate went to see Zoe in Medea, all the Playbills were misplaced. Kate found them and handed them out to the entire audience!

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings