Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
audrey33316

Featured Actors

Just curious how everyone feels about featuring an actor or actress for a full day? For me, it can be frustrating, if I don't care for that particular actor. Which means a full day of not watching TCM! I go through withdrawals when I don't have TCM to watch. I think it would be better to either feature the actor for part of the day, or fit them in between other movies. I guess I like more variety. I understand why it's done, just not my preference.

What do you think?

audrey33316

I've particularly liked the Mary Boland and Ramon Novarro days. These are actors who deserve to be celebrated and rarely are. Ms. Boland only gets shown when there are tributes to the "big stars" in her films or as part of some theme showing. So I do like it very much when a "character" person is star of the day; or someone like Mr. Novarro, who hasn't been featured (as far as I know) that much. I would like more days dedicated to individual character people, like a Beulah Bondi day, or a Rafaela Ottiano day, or a Henry O'Neil day, etc.

This hasn't been the greatest of SUTS months, but then that's because I've seen so many of the movies already. I love Bogart, but there wasn't anything new there. Ditto Lana Turner and Clark Gable. It more or less depends on what you like and how many times you've already seen everything. True TCM junkies are always looking for fresh blood, not leftovers. Which is why my highlight day was Catherine Deneuve, followed by the upcoming tributes to Bette Davis (with a bunch of her seldom seen pre-codes) and Glenda Farrell (the entire Torchy series at once, not spread out over two months).

Of course the only real solution to endless repeats is amnesia or Alzheimer's, because then even Some Like It Hot will seem like a discovery and not just another retread. Fortunately that solution will soon become available to many of us here. (smile)

(And hey, where are the smiley buttons? I must have left them with my glasses.)

Speaking of "Summer Under the Stars" days, I was outraged yesterday to discover that NOT ONE of the Catherine Deneuve films scheduled for her day was available to see in Canada.

I mean, were there "rights issues" around all of them? I know this cannot be so, as several films starring Catherine Deneuve were aired last month for the Truffaut spotlight. Films which were also aired in Canada. So ??

They didn't even attempt to make it a "semi" Catherine Deneuve day for Canadians. They just threw up their hands and showed a random mix of movies - oh, they did show one of those 50s travelogues, this one about Alberta or something. Cause we're Canadian.

Shirley they could have tried to air at least a couple of those Deneuve films. I really wanted to see that Bunuel thing, "Tristana". Haven't seen it in years, and was looking forward to it.

When will I remember to always click that "CANADIAN schedule" icon when I'm checking out what' s playing on TCM?

Edited by: misswonderly on Aug 13, 2013 3:46 PM

spelling

Audrey, I agree that a whole day of some actor or actress you DON'T like can be frustrating. Equally frustrating is a day of an actor/actress you DO like that features NONE of your favorite films they made.

Sepiatone

Edited by: Sepiatone on Aug 13, 2013 1:09 PM

misswonderly, I'm sorry that Canadian viewers did not get to enjoy Catherine Deneuve day. That was one of the Summer Under The Stars highlights for me this year so I completely understand your frustration at not getting to see those films after the anticipation of seeing them.

I'd missed MISSISSIPPI MERMAID during the Truffaut spotlight so I was glad that this film was shown again. Both Deneuve and Jean-Paul Belmondo were gorgeous in that movie.

I was surprised hear Deneuve speaking Spanish in TRISTANA. I think it was Spanish---it was not French.

LOL. Now that is weird. I recorded some of the overnight ones. I hope they made it (forgot to check this morning). Why don't you e-mail TCM and ask?

It is frustrating to me, because if it's an actor/actress that is rarely (if ever ) showcased often there are too many films I want to see and not enough time to watch them or space on the dvr to record them all. So I'm forced to choose (not always sure what to choose) I don't mind the days I'm not interested (either due to the star or the stars films being shown all the time). It gives me time to catch up watching other stuff..........

It's also a nice break from the oversaturated movies shown during primetime (though some of them show up during SUTS in primetime...)

Edited by: Hibi on Aug 13, 2013 3:37 PM

HoldenIsHere (Holden Caulfield? or William Holden? ) wrote:

"...I was surprised hear Deneuve speaking Spanish in TRISTANA. I think it was Spanish---it was not French."

That's probably the language she was speaking, since *Tristana* 's director, Luis Bunuel, is Spanish.

Audrey, I agree that a whole day of some actor or actress you DON'T like can be frustrating. Equally frustrating is a day of an actor/actress you DO like that features NONE of your favorite films they made.

Sepiatone

Most of your posts that I've stumbled upon, I usually agree with and figure that I may as well not reply. Why repeat what's aready been said? But I'm going to have my say this time. The only day I tuned in seriously to TCM this month was on Humphrey Bogart's day. I really don't care for a full day of any of the other actors. Summer under the Stars seems to feature the same old same old. I know there are plenty of happy members out there who are enjoying this month, because I've been reading your posts. Enjoy, folks, But it's not for me.

Most of the members here, Janet, have cable services that provide 400+ channels of alternative, and burgeoning tape/DVD collections, so nobody's commited to any TCM programming. I really don't understand why such a thing should become a constant complaint.

Sepiatone

I normally enjoy SUTS, even though they feature too many artists that are already features all year, every year...AND at least this year, few in any surprises in their films selected...ok I get that this is a marketing ploy to the occasional viewer, who if they tune, in to watch Bogie or Better or whoever, are gonna wanna see all the classic titles....it gives me a break from wanting to record, since I have most...and makes it doubly special for days featuring Mary Boland, Deneuve, etc. (I feel for u Canadians)...and of course that was Spanish in TRISTANA, but not cause Bunuel is Spanish, but because it takes place in Spain...although I felt that Deneuve was dubbed...the Castilian was that perfect...btw....what did happen to REPULSION, which I recorded bu't haven't seen yet.

I think this year's SUTS is better than last year............

Yeah, surprisingly I actually enjoyed the Mickey Rooney day yesterday. It afforded me an opportunity to watch a movie I hadn't watched in years and remember being pretty good, "The Human Comedy".

(...boy was I wrong...that baby was, well, hokey...but I gotta admit Mickey WAS pretty good in it)

<.....that baby was , well, hokey.....>

Sometimes it's good to watch something "hokey"....To remind us What life used to be like and appreciate what we have........

Twink

In MY case that all depends upon if the "hokey-ness" is also presented with a "knowing wink of cynicism".

Case in point, I know "It's a Wonderful Life" is "hokey", BUT somehow Capra puts just enough of that "knowing wink of cynicism" into his movie in order for me to believe he's not totally pressing an agenda about the "attributes of wholesomeness". And of course, many of Billy Wilder's comedies which I also love were presented in this manner.

In other words, it(the cynicism) leavens the schmaltz to a palatable enough level so as to where I can somewhat believe these stories have at least some basis in reality, and thus they hold my interest.

(...get what I mean?)

Edited by: Dargo2 on Aug 14, 2013 1:03 PM

I wouldn't mind if they did a full days programming of Susan Hayward movies! She doesn't get much respect, but kinda wrote the book on 1950s tough ladies and then did some fun musicals before camping it up in the 60s with "Valley of the Dolls". I recently found a video on YouTube that shows that Hayward is the only winner of an OSCAR that was called back for a curtain call (by Jerry Lewis) because of the ovation she received at winning.

that was Spanish in TRISTANA, but not cause Bunuel is Spanish, but because it takes place in Spain...although I felt that Deneuve was dubbed...the Castilian was that perfect

Arturo, I also was wondering if perhaps Deneuve's Spanish was dubbed in TRISTANA. The voice looked (to me) to be synched but it was strange to hear that language spoken by Deneuve. I was wondering if she was speaking Spanish with a hint of French accent, but you are saying you did not detect that at all.

>that was Spanish in TRISTANA, but not cause Bunuel is Spanish, but because it takes place in Spain...although I felt that Deneuve was dubbed...the Castilian was that perfect

She looked dubbed to me too.

Ok, so we've got a post-1960 film, in Spanish, with the French actress dubbed in Spanish, and we have to read English subtitles.

Why wasn't the whole film just dubbed in English?

Some might think it would come off like "What's Up, Tiger Lily?".

Sepiatone

She looked dubbed to me too.

Ok, so we've got a post-1960 film, in Spanish, with the French actress dubbed in Spanish, and we have to read English subtitles.

Why wasn't the whole film just dubbed in English?

If Catherine Deneuve's Spanish in TRISTANA was in fact dubbed, it was a choice of the filmmakers much in the same way that Natalie Wood and Audrey Hepburn's singing voices were dubbed in WEST SIDE STORY and MY FAIR LADY respectively or the way Andie MacDowell's voice was dubbed in GREYSTOKE. But to have an entire film's soundtrack re-dubbed into a different language is an alteration of the film just as presenting a widescreen film in "pan and scan" is an alteration. While some may prefer a dubbed filmed to reading subtitles (just as some may prefer pan and scan to letterbox bars), I personally do not enjoy hearing an English soundtrack added to a film produced in another language.