SECRETS OF SCOTLAND YARD (1944) Edgar Barrier, Lionel Atwill

THE GIRL WHO DARED (1944) Lorna Gray, Peter Cookson

STORM OVER LISBON (11944) Vera Ralston, Erich von Sroheim

THE PHANTOM SPEAKS (1945) Richard Arlen, Stanley Ridges

THE FATAL WITNESS (1945) Evelyn Ankers, Richard Fraser

THE MADONNA'S SECRET (1946) Francis Lederer, Gail Patrick

MURDER IN THE MUSIC HALL (1946) Vera Ralston, William Marshall

THE FRENCH KEY (1946) Albert Dekker, Mike Mazurki

First you'd better get Paramount to actually access the elements they have on these pictures. So many of the early Republics were edited to 54 minutes for television and it is not known if Paramount has uncut versions - or any versions - of many of the studio's output.

One Republic I know everyone would get a big kick out of is MERCY ISLAND, where darling Terry Kilburn arranges a crocodile trap for mad Ray Middleton!

• 1 year later...

Two great character actors worked at Republic, Lloyd Nolan and Charles Bickford. Lloyd Nolan appeared in GANGS OF CHICAGO and BEHIND THE NEWS, both from 1940. Charles Bickford was in GANGS OF NEW YORK made in 1938 with Ann Dvorak.

Other Republic films I would like to see starred Don Barry on hiatus from his western films.

REMEMBER PEARL HARBOR

THE TRAITOR WITHIN

THE WESTSIDE KID

MY BUDDY

THE CHICAGO KID

THE LAST CROOKED MILE 

SLIPPY MC GEE  .... and a few others.

I have two excellent Bickford Republics - STREET OF MISSING MEN with Harry Carey and THOU SHALT NOT KILL, which features a standout performance by Paul Guilfoyle.  THOU SHALT NOT KILL was horribly edited (in the negative) when released to TV but I managed to track down an uncut print.

Nepotism shouldn't count. 

So that should rule out any showings of Marion Davies' movies, or Norma Shearer movies, or Bella Darvi movies or Juliette Greco movies (oh wait, scratch those last two), or THE LADY FROM SHANGHAI, or a couple of Paulette Goddard movies done by Chaplin, or.....

Though she gets mocked for not being a solid legitimate actress, everything I have read about Vera Ralston supports the fact that she was very loved by the crews that worked on Republic's pictures. They all seem to say she was one of the nicest people that ever graced a movie set. And truthfully, I don't think all of her pictures are that bad-- some are quite good. JUBILEE TRAIL is one of my favorite feminist westerns.

I would like to see TCM do a primetime spotlight on her. Give us two or three of her Republic pictures one evening.

I've seen only about 7 of those Republic movies. We definitely need some TV station to run the old Republic movies, and what better channel than TCM!

If available, I think Encore runs a lot of them.  I know they run a lot of Republic westerns.

So that should rule out any showings of Marion Davies' movies, or Norma Shearer movies, or Bella Darvi movies or Juliette Greco movies (oh wait, scratch those last two), or THE LADY FROM SHANGHAI, or a couple of Paulette Goddard movies done by Chaplin, or.....

Bella Darvi would not have gone anywhere without the help of Darryl Zanuck.  The same for a very nice lady,Ms.Ralston through her marriage to Herbert Yates. 

I've been watching lots of Republic films (and even more Paramounts!) on Amazon Prime streaming, dozen's of titles I've never seen before nor expect to show up on TCM. I just checked and FAIR WIND TO JAVA, MADONNA'S SECRET, LADY AND THE MONSTER and THE GIRL WHO DARED are all available.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings