Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Guns of Navarone...

Always enjoyed this movie even though it's so improbable. Tiomkin's score is really memorable. It must have been a mini reunion with Gregory Peck, Stanley Baker and James Robertson Justice from Captain Horatio Hornblower.

"IMPROBABLE"???

Ever watched "Where Eagles Dare"? A movie with a very similar premise, and where Richard Burton and Clint Eastwood kill HALF the German Army while Clint goes unscathed but Burton sustains a minor bullet wound to his hand for his troubles, but STLL can hold onto the side of a ski lift gondola while killing three bad guys a thousand feet in the air during its "thrill-packed ending"!!! LOL

(...now THAT'S "improbable", dude!!!) ;)

>Let's face it folks. This film is much too long at 2 hours and 37 minutes. It is shown too often. It is not interesting. It is boring. And not many people will watch it.

Well folks, I guess there goes ANOTHER one off the ol' "Classics List" around here, EH?!

(...and besides, it WAS made after 1960 TOO, ya know!!!)

LOL

>Always enjoyed this movie even though it's so improbable.

David Niven says:

"This is a clever idea the screenwriters have worked out. We dress in Nazi uniforms, walk right past the guards and right into the mountain. Then we blow up the big guns, and just walk right out. Ha, Ha, those Krauts are so stupid! The only problem is, we've got to drag this story out to 2 hours and 37 minutes."

18810697_w434_h_q80.jpg

Yes, the film goes on way too long. But on the level of simplistic adventures films with a top list of stars, I find Guns pretty hard to resist. Though, I will admit, part of it may be nostalgia since it's the ONLY film that I saw at the show three times.

I enjoy that moment when David Niven informs Gregory Peck that he has just finished inspecting the Greek fishing vessel upon which they are to sail and he wants Peck to know that he can't swim.

I have never had a problem with long movies if they are good. The Guns of Navarone is good...the problem is that TCM refuses to put on anything new beyond their fixed rotation of movies. Will they put on *Washington: Behind Closed Doors* from 1977? No, they will beat us over the head with Advise & Consent a thousand more times. Washington; Behind Closed Doors is dozens of times better than Advise & Consent.

Dargo2, I think that Guns does stretch credulity a bit but that Eagles just snaps it in half. Aside from being written by the same author I don't think that the two are very similar in tone.

I must have seen Guns at the theater five times when I was twelve years old and loved every minute of it. I read the paperback and regretted several of the changes made for the screen. Mallory and Andrea were as close as brothers with no rift between them, the two women were added for box office appeal instead of two male partisans, Andy Franklin was a young man who sacrificed his life so the others could escape. The book seemed grittier and more realistic than the film.

I think that's why I called this "improbable".

Most of the movies that impressed me were the ones I saw around this time of my life and they still are sentimental favorites that I revisit as often as possible. Both my son and daughter have been subjected to my fascination with certain films and now I'm introducing my grandkids to some of the tamer ones. Can't wait for them to grow a couple more years.

I'm surprised by the negative response. Okay, it's not historically accurate or realistic, but how many war movies truly are? It's a very solid action movies with Peck and Niven both turning in great performances. It may be a little long, but most of what you'd trim from the movie is at the beginning and not the end.

Good for you, Fly!

I'm SICK and TIRED of pansies who complain that a movie is "too long". Of course, it depends on the movie. I've seen movies that barely reached the 90 minute mark that were too long for me, and others that were nearly THREE HOURS that ended too soon. But I know several young punks( which is why Fred's complaint surprised me!) who complain that a movie they've NEVER SEEN is too long, so they never bother to go see it!

In today's climate of exhorbiant ticket prices, one would think the complaint would be that any movie isn't LONG ENOUGH to get your money's worth!

Hey, FRED...if ya think GUNS is too long, check out the '70's sequel made with Harrison Ford!

Sepiatone