Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Any poster collectors?

Just wondering if anyone collects paper on classics? The beautiful posters are an added bonus to a great movie.

I like mostly stone lithos and film noirs.

My most prized piece is a window card for The Mouthpiece(1932) starring the great Warren William. I also have a 3sheet for two if my favorite noirs. Criss Cross and The Big Clock.

I first started after seeing the poster for 1952's Kansas City Confidential. Who could forget the three bad guys played by Lee Van Cleef, Jack Elam and Neville Brand!

I have many more but would love to hear from other fans!

I'm your huckleberry.

You have some magnificent posters!

I started collecting in 1960 but was fortunate to make friends with a guy who worked at a local TV station in 1969.. He gave me a box of posters from a South Carolina poster exchange in return for free pizzas (that I paid for) from Shakey's Pizza, where we both worked. The TV station provided the films at the restaurant and I bought him the pies and pitchers beer.

The posters included The Magnificent Seven B sheet, Attack of the 50 Foot Woman, The Giant Behemoth, House on Haunted Hill half sheet, Adventures of Robin Hood insert and Arsenic and Old Lace one sheet.

Over the years, I've sold quite a few of them to pay for my kids' college , but I somehow feel diminished by their absence.

I still have quite a few in my personal collection, including The Black Shield of Fallworth, Against All Flags, The Great Escape, Moby Dick, The Hatchet Man, and a slew of westerns from the '50s and '60s.

I would love to hear more about your collection.

Yipes! You two have some incredible posters!

I am an art restorer, so I've restored some great movie posters and archivally framed them for others, but my own collection is much less "classic".

For example, my living room sports full size KITTEN WITH A WHIP

th?id=H.4533227444175954&pid=15.1

(self explanatory for those who know me) PAPER MOON and half sheet IT SHOULD HAPPEN TO YOU.

Funny what becomes your "favorite". Mine is a lobby card from SECRET OF THE INCAS because it pictures fave Yma Sumac. I have scads of half sheets and those long skinny size of oddball titles from the 40's-50's that I've just never framed. Usually I just like the graphic or the star pictured.

I also scored some really old silent lobby cards from someone who found them insulating a roof! All have nail holes & rust, but are still great!

And then I have a HUGE wall size crazy sexy pirate girl graphic of GUNS OF THE BLACK WITCH. What the heck do you DO with something that big?

Don't ask ME, Tiki. It's the main reason I've never bothered collecting them. I'd have nowhere to put 'em, and just keeping them rolled up for prosperity is senseless, if you ask me. If the situation were otherwise, I'd have no idea where to start. Maybe with lobby posters of some of my favorite movies. But even then, I'd have to be more selective than would be possible for me, or else move into a converted warehouse!

Sepiatone

If some of you are like me, there are two problems with movie poster collecting: Wall space and money. Those vintage babies ain't cheap, often running into hundreds of dollars or even a thousand or more.

But if you love the images and can live with (dirty word alert) *reproductions,* an affordable alternative is the many books of posters that are widely available online. My favorite is Eddie Muller's The Art of Noir: The Posters and Graphics From the Classic Era of Film Noir, with 338 images, but there are many other poster books out there that cover pretty much every conceivable genre, nearly all of which will set you back less than nearly any vintage poster.

http://www.amazon.com/Art-Noir-Posters-Graphics-Classic/dp/1585670731/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1376670892&sr=1-1&keywords=mullerartof+noir

Well, money has always been a problem, but I have the space. About 15 years ago we turned our basement into a home theater, complete with a liquid crystal projector, 10 foot screen, stadium seats with cupholders and even a popcorn machine. The walls are covered with one sheets, half sheets, photobustas, lobby cards, and stills in frames. I change them when the whim hits me so it's not static too long. I picked up some three sheets but could never find a frame for them. I even installed a lightbox poster to highlight the double sided rolled one sheets that grace most multiplexes today, but I'm not a fan of modern poster art. They usually just have a close up of the star's face

A great source for posters is Bruce Hershenson's emovieposter site.

So jealous! Alas, my disposible income has always been too tight to afford originals, but I have a lot of poster repros decorating my work room. I also collect movie cigarette cards, which are like having a mini poster collection (of sorts) and have the additional bonus of being.a bit cheaper and taking up much smaller space. :)

Sounds like a great home theater setup there, Gorch.

All I own is a lobby card of "It's a Wonderful Life" which my wife's sister gave me as a Christmas present probably 20 years ago now, and depicting Christmas Eve in the Bailey's kitchen with Jimmy Stewart, Donna Reed and Larry Simms(son Pete) and just before George goes into nightmare mode and meets Clarence.

It is autographed by both Stewart and Reed, and both signatures seem legitimate.

(...I often wonder what would be its present market value, even though I'll probably never sell it)

Hello Dargo. Yes, we spend a lot of time in the dark. My children loved using the theater for a cheap date night and now some of my grandkids are old enough to appreciate it. Been watching a lot of Disney and Harryhausen on sleepovers.

I wouldn't part with your autographed picture either. The only ones I managed to collect are Charlton Heston and each of the Magnificent Seven along with Eli Wallach.

The bulk of my collection consists of stills. At last count, I had about 15,000. When I was a kid, the local newspaper reviewer would give me his promotional material. When we lived in NYC, I used to haunt the memorabilia shops on my lunch break and they just mounted up.

Great responses! I do have a wall shortage problem. I'm slowly getting rid of my lesser posters but want to back them first. Eddie Muller's book is one of the main reasons I got into it. I also collect old pulps that have great covers. The image is most important. When the image is great for a movie I love than I get obsessive. The Strange Loves of Martha Ivers is a favorite with Barbara Stanwyk, Van Heflin and Liz Scott on it. For the defense has a wonderful picture of Kay Francis and William Powell. I wish I could figure how to post pictures!

I went through a Ramen eating phase where all my cash went to posters.

My most expensive is a vaudeville poster that is for the Hilton Siamese Twins. They were in the movie Freaks as well as a movie about their lives from the 50's. it's a rare gem that I love but was terrified right after putting in my highest bid!

Gorch, your story about the poster exchange has me green with envy. As a collector my dream has always been to meet someone like that or a previous theater owner. Unfortunately as a buyer you just don't run into people with a pile of old posters; the way say a glass collector might find a cache. Consequently you end up having to buy off the web where other die hards are waiting for the same paper.

I've been a collector, off and on, for close to 50 years but there were long periods, mainly in my 20s and 30s, when my hobby was apparently in a dormant stage and I had zero interest but I started again about 15-20 years ago. When I was young I collected horror and Sci-Fi paper and had some nice items, some of which I sold, such as The Mummy's Curse half-sheet and a Earth vs The Flying Saucers 1 sheet. When I resumed collecting my interests had changed so I started collecting lobby cards from the early to mid '30s. Can't afford the famous titles but I do have some nice cards like The Painted Desert, Heros For Sale, Hide-Out, Five Star Final, and a bunch of the Joe E. Brown films. I like lobby cards due to their size and the fact that frames for them are cheap. I usually use 11x14 frames but for my "special" ones I use 16x20 with 11x14 mattes. They look very nice that way.