Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

WallaceBeeryfest

slaytonf

Of the slate of his movies offered tomorrow, I suppose the sentimental favorites would be Min and Bill, and The Champ, where his lovable scoundrel persona is shown to its best effect. But Beery had a dark side to his schemer, smarmer characters, as was seen most popularly in Treasure Island. Dark indeed, amoral and murderous. I like these roles the best, as they were devoid of the sticky sentimentality that the goody-goody roles were prone to. My favorite of these is as Butch Schmidt in The Big House, one of the earliest, and best of the prison-theme movies. The contrast between his aw-shucks manner with a none-too subtle undercurrent of violence and danger is perversely entertaining.

Most of the people who worked with him were not fond the man. Jackie Cooper who worked with him called him a vicious, mean cruel drunk. Harlow couldn't stand him, he disliked Gable and the feeling was mutual. Gloria Swanson who was married to him at one time made the remark, "He was invited to every home in Hollywood...Once"

And in spite of all that, he was known as, "The lovable slob". Most likely by the moviegoers.

Since I was a kid, I liked Beery movies. Probably because of the "smarm" mentioned earlier. Over time, I was able to catch his more "dark" work, and some of his silent work as well and grew a new appreciation for him.

But I STILL don't buy him as PONCHO VILLA.

Sepiatone

This Wallace Beery crap is the reason I will be watching The Good, The Bad and the Ugly tonite at eight on a local PBS channel. Right now I'm thinkin' Strother Martin.....*"but that's the way TCM wants it. Well, they get it!"* :) We're not all cinema verite silent cinema worshippers out here. No, just regular folks lookin' for something good to watch on a lazy late summer saturday evening. Now just ask yourself who has more personality? Wallace Beery or Tuco? I have ta go with Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramirez otherwise known as the rat. :)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0uoeZwCOCY

>sez FlyBackTransformer:

> We're not all cinema verite silent cinema worshippers out here

Huh? For a Wallace Beery day? About as far as you can get from cv.

As I said, you need to catch The Big House. If you missed it, you missed out.

What I mean is TCM continues to put stuff on that no one wants to see and as such I lump Wallace Beery in with art house and silents...nobody wants any of it! I guess TCM braintrusts think if they schedule something enough times we're all of a sudden gonna like it. Wallace Beery? Only like 2 films of his, Sergeant Madden and This Man's Navy...Bad Bascomb has and interesting pov shot of Beery chucking an axe in a desperado's back. :)

Well first, FlyBack...

>What I mean is TCM continues to put stuff on that no one wants to see and as such I lump Wallace Beery in with art house and silents.

Seein' as how Beery was one of the biggest stars of early talkies, and was primarily popular with the "Working Class" audiences of his day, I don't see how his movies could ever be described as "Art House" fare.

And secondly...

>...nobody wants any of it!

You suuuuuure like to talk usin' a whole lot o' definitive statements, doncha?!

LOL

I can't stand him. I never could. A dreadful man personally, according to those who worked with him. I don't like the characters he played so I avoid them anyway. I don't know what TCM is doing these days. The awful junk they're passing off as classic is just hideous.

Now: Can anybody tell me how to get to Page 2 of any given thread? I can't find a place to click on to get there.

8MXTD00Z.jpg

"It's really pretty easy, Senorita! Jus' take your cursor and click just to the right of where page-"1" is showin', 'cause even though ya can't see it, the number "2" is right there!"

(...sorry Dothery...I just couldn't resist this!!!) ;)

LOL

There are only a few films in which I like Beery but they are the ones that show his darker side: Treasure Island and, particularly, Viva Villa! But he is aslo very good bantering with Harlow in Dinner at Eight.

Pancho Villa has a lot of Beery in the characterization, of course, but it would be the one performance he gave I'd like to see a few times.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSGzIs70gyD2oqsN6n2sKA

My favourite Beery performance.

Also, two others were maybe involved . Albert "Cubby" Broccoli, who went on to produce the James Bond films and his cousin Pat DiCicco, a gangster connected with "Lucky" Luciano and DiCicco the ex husband of actress Thelma Todd who may have had a hand in her "strange" death..

Thanks for the topic. I didnt see yours so I open a new thread about Wallace Beery cuz he is one of my most favorite actors and I love to see him act.

here's what I wrote (but I didnt see it posted)>?

I thought surely TCM would show Bad Bascomb today but they didnt and instead played that boring musical (Date with Judy with Beery doing practically nothing). oh I hate musicals they are so boring and usually have no story or even acting involved... (maybe couple of exceptions like My Fair Lady)

Bad Bascomb was exciting because both Marjorie Main and Margaret O'Brien played in it (2 of the best actresses I know of).

only thing I didnt like about that movie was the ending but of course he had to get busted for the sake of the law... huh!

They are showing the grand hotel right now with a great cast of characters such as both Barrymores, Wallace Beery Garbo and my favorite Joan Crawford. and then after that they are going to show dinner at 8...(with my favorite gal Jean Harlow).

Both of those movies are really good . Dinner at 8 deals with glamorous life of the rich and the so-called ''society'' people as so many movies of that era are about!. But wasnt that cold-blooded (inappropriate) on part of hollywood to sort of rub it in to the American people at the time when the nation was induced into and was suffering from worst recessions, unemployment and all sort of depressions (and whats so great about depression)?...huh!

Yes, Fred, I know about the other two potential accomplices with Beery, as well. Healy's beating death took place behind the famed Trocadero night club. That was the same night club at which Thelma Todd was last seen before her mysterious death less than two years before.

I enjoyed the WallaceBerryfest all day yesterday. I know he wasn't the easiest person to work with but what a great group of actors he worked with and what great films. The titles of the films are classics and you have to give him credit for that.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings