Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Finding the movies your want

Dothery

This is probably something everybody knows, but if you don't, here it is. I just joined a site called Lovingtheclassics.com. I was looking for an Alan Ladd/Loretta Young movie called "And Now Tomorrow." Hadn't been able to locate it on Netflix or elsewhere. They have it on this site so I'm ordering it there. They've got tons of old classics. You're welcome.

• 2 weeks later...

They have a good selection but most of their stuff I've found for lower prices on other "collector" sites...

Also, hate the look of their case covers with that stupid framing around the artwork...the poster or photo should fill the whole cover.

I've bought dvd's from LovingTheClassics and have found them fairly reputable, but what I can't figure out is this:

With most if not all of those movies supposedly in the public domain, why don't they run on TCM? I've just looked through their 54 noir titles, and I've seen only a relative handful of them show up on TCM over the past 4+ years.

Just to take two outstanding examples: Sterling Hayden's The Naked Alibi, and Scott Brady's Undertow. If LTC can make copies and sell them, why can't TCM play them?

That's a good question... Just a guess but maybe its because there isn't a decent-looking print available for screening? Many of these PD titles have degenerated to the point of looking absolutely horrible, perhaps TCM just avoids them because they've never been restored or vetted for even average print quality.

You bring up a good point. While TCM has run some poor quality copies of films that are in the public domain, they always get lots of grief for it on these boards. People today have gotten spoiled by DVDs of old films that have been restored and and have come to expect every film to be that way and that's just not possible because often the original film elements no longer exist.

TCM has been willing to take the heat and show pretty bad copies of certain films because those are the only copies available and there's a compelling reason for those titles to be included in a program theme. Still, I'm sure that there are some that are so bad that TCM just won't do it.

I think most of Loving the Classics' DVD's are actually copyrighted and not in the public domain. I've seen several sellers of old movies that claim their titles are p.d. when they're actually not. If they were truly p.d., they would likely be airing on TCM and would be available on DVD from multiple sellers.

One seller of bootleg DVD's and tapes, Nostalgia Family Video, made the same claim, if I'm not mistaken. They've either been shut down or have otherwise gone out of business; at least, their site no longer comes up on Google searches.

I'm not condemning these sellers, by the way. I ordered Home, Sweet Homicide from Nostalgia Family Video, and I'm sure that's still under copyright to Fox. Fox just hasn't done anything with the title on home video.

right on, Darth. Personally I'll try to buy the studio released version of a film, but for films that have been sitting in vaults for years and never released on disc (or in some cases, not even on tape!), I have no reservations whatsoever about buying it from a private seller. I know it's not "authorized" but too bad--I got tired of waiting and I want to see it.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings