Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

"Rose Marie"

WGL

When we had TCM SD, "Rose Marie" was shown in its original Cinemascope. Since we got a 16x9 HD TV, widescreen films show in correct aspect ratio only within a small 4x3 box in the center of the screen, so I was glad to find TCM HD channel. However, on Ann Blyth Day, "Rose Marie" did not appear in Cinemascope (2.35:1but only slightly wider than 1.87:1. What happened? Did anyone else notice this?

Read the instruction manual that came with your HD TV. Make sure you have it set for the 16:9 and not 4:3 I didn't see "Rose Marie", but did record "The Student Prince" which was also in CinemaScope and that was in the proper ratio with the screen filled from side to side.and black bars on top and bottom.

I did have our TV set to 16x9, & usually when TCMHD shows a Cinemascope or Panavision film, it displays correctly. When a movie is not formatted for 16x9 TVs, our TV will stretch it only horizontally in 16x9 but will display it in correct aspect ratio only when set to 4x3, which places the picture within a small 4x3 box in the center of the TV screen. To my dismay, I keep finding older DVD movies we've bought that were formatted only for 4x3 TVs & display correctly only in a small 4x3 box, as if we had our old 27" 4x3 SD TV.

For me, who has a LG LCD TV and Time Warner Cable, I can enlarge the picture two ways. My TV has a zoom feature which enlarges the picture on the screen. Also, the remote from my cable company has an aspect ratio button with a zoom feature that enlarges the picture feeding into my TV. Check out your TV and cable options to see if you can do the same.

I'm not talking about stretching the picture. These are simple zooms, so a 16 x 9 or similar ratio wide-screen movie fills my screen, and Cinemascope or the like go from side to side with narrow black bands across the top and bottom.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings