Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

This? or That?

Noir_Kiss3

Two similar quantities whether it be similar moviies, remakes, comedy teams ect ect. After you answer your preference (there is no wrong answer) please put down at least one sentence as to why you prefer one over the other. Then post two more like answers for the next person.

Example

Q:Warner's 30's character actor:

Allen Jenkins or Ned Sparks?

A:Allen Jenkins

A: His wisecracks are always welcome whereas Ned can be tiresome with his prickly schtick.

Now the respondent posts for the next person.

See if this works. We had done it on another site and it was fun to see what people came up with. Remember the person that answers this posts for the next person.

Here we go.

Gone With The Wind or Jezebel?

Gone With The Wind or Jezebel?

Jezebel, because of Bette Davis, who i can watch for hours, whereas Vvien Leigh can't hold my attention for 4 solid hours.

Sacrilege to many i know, but hey, what about:

Frankenstein or Bride of Frankenstein?

Haha great answer! It's funny how what's sacred to one person is "alright" with another.

Bride of Frankenstein

Obviously the original is a total classic but for me Bride is more exciting. The "humanity" of the monster is great in this film. You really sympathize with him. The whole scene of the bride coming to life is even more exciting then the original. The soundtrack is awesome as well. The strings stick I'm my head.

Better "average joe" actor: Jimmy Steeart or Henry Fonda?

(Coincidentally I hear they loved to sit in eachothers company make model airplanes!)

Better 'average Joe' : Jimmy Stewart or Henry Fonda ?

It's gotta be Henry Fonda. Jimmy always had an edge of some sort about him -

be it his character's eccentricities or fears. Hank was smooth all the way 'round.

His characters had their little outbursts at times but, overall, he could have been

the guy sitting next to you at the station or depot. An average Joe, just like Manny

Balestrero in The Wrong Man.

Who's the better 'bum / hobo' : Joel McCrea or Gary Cooper ?

I'd say Joel McCrea. In Sullivan's Travels he seems pretty comfortable bumming down the road. (OK, he has Veronica Lake for company, which surely helps.)

Whereas Gary Cooper in Meet John Doe is a pitiful figure, someone who's not shrewd or cunning enough to survive as a hobo.

OK, better gangster: Edward G. Robinson or James Cagney?

Oof that's a tough one! I'm going to go with Edward G. His playing of Rico in Little Cesar was so iconic they named the RICO statute after him! I also like that juxtaposed against his great serious gangsters he also is great in comedies as a hood. Slight Case of Murder is a riot with Larceny Inc. being a close second.

Which musical is better 42nd Street or Footlight Parade?

While I like "Footlight Parade" a lot and think it has a lot to recommend it (namely James Cagney & Joan Blondell), I would have to go with "42nd Street" as being the better of the two. I think it was the grandfather of the backstage musical and the definitive one at that. In the years to come, many musicals copied this one to some degree. It also has a great Harry Warren/Al Dubin score.

Speaking of musicals, which was better:

"On Moonlight Bay" or its sequel "By the Light of the Silvery Moon"?

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings