Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Old Hollywood health and fitness

aero4

I have seen some short films on TCM made in the 50s that promoted health and fitness. These were interesting since many people believe the 'issue' about 'living right' is a recent one. These programs mention things like eating the standard American breakfast of fatty pork and eggs as well as not getting enough exercise. Sorry I don't remember what these shorts were called but maybe you can search at TCM and find them.

There was a health guru, Gayelord Hauser, that had a fanatical following in Gloria Swanson, Greta Garbo and some others starting in the 1920s. I remember reading Gloria Swanson's autobio and she would bring her own organic, vegetarian food to dinner parties. Hauser had products, like 'Spike' seasoning (might still be around).

Ann Davis, who played "Shultzie" on the "Love That Bob" sitcom, talked about Robert Cummings' heath "obsession" on MIKE DOUGLAS one time. She said they both went out to dinner once. Bob ordered what seemed to be nothing out of the ordinary; ie: steak, potatoes, vegetables. And in front of him was a row of supplements positioned like a wall around his plate. His "health nut" reputation was widely known back in the day.

Sepiatone

*What could those machines do aside from jiggling the fat around??? It's not like you are using any muscles to work off anything..........Cant imagine they were anything but rip offs.........*

Maybe it was something more to make other people laugh. ;)

LonesomePolecat, (clicked on the wrong reply) I like that cartoon, lol never seen it before. Was the point at the end, you're wasting one's time? I noticed the mechanical horse, wondering was it the forerunner of this...

162623__urban_l.jpg

(So that's why John Travolta stayed fit :) )

Edited by: hamradio on Aug 19, 2013 8:38 PM

Carol Channing was a fitness freak, at least about her food. She carried it everywhere, on planes, trains and buses. Once she was talking to a friend who asked what she had to eat on the trip. She said, "Elk. I brought it with me; you can't eat just any old elk."

(So that's why John Travolta stayed fit :) )

I believe he got that body being trained by Sylvester Stallone for "Saturday Night Fever." At least he credited him with it. Someone asked him how he felt about the new body he got for the picture, and he said, "I'm in awe of it."

Talk show host Craig Ferguson used to joke that HIS new system for weight loss was, "Eat less---move around more".

Indeed, in today's climate of countless books being sold containing dietary peculiarities, such simple advice is really spot on. It was it's simplicity that made Ferguson quip that in America, it'll never catch on.

America CAN'T settle for simplicity. Everything has to be overdone. My doctor told me that he always, and still DOES believe that walking is the best, accessable excersize one can do. Anything more excessive is just icing on the cake. And just WALKING. He insists that a daily stroll can have many benefits than NOT walking much. But of course, Americans aren't satisfied with that. We have to have a special WAY to walk, special SHOES to walk in, and specific CLOTHING to wear while on our "power" walks.

I contend that America is probably the only country in which one would drive around a parking lot for 30 minutes or more in able to find the closest parking spot in order to not have too far to walk to the health club where he/she will spend the next 45 minutes on a TREADMILL!

And I recall one day, when walking to a nearby store, one man was yelling across the street to a neighbor, inviting him to, "come over and check out my new treadmill. I got it for only 3,000 bucks!". I looked down on the SIDEWALK I was walking on, and figured in my town alone, there must be 2,000 miles of it available to walk on whenever one wanted and shook my head in amusement.

Sepiatone

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings