Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Race Movies

hiyaclaire

As I watch "The Great Race" I wonder if anyone knows the story behind both this film and "Those Magnificent Men In Their Flying Machines" being released in 1965. How did race films come into Hollywood consciousness at this time? Did one studio "race" to compete with another studio in this genre?

I notice that both films feature a liberated woman, but why would they both necessarily place her in the pre-WW1 period?

>hiyaclaire:

>I notice that both films feature a liberated woman, but why would they both necessarily place her in the pre-WW1 period?

The politics in movies always relates to the time it is made, not the time period depicted in the movie. For example, the war message in M*A*S*H is about the Viet Nam War, not the Korean War.

• 2 weeks later...

Your somewhat right about the politics of that era.

The film director of "The Great Race", Blake Edwards, was a silent film buff and wanted to make a movie on the early 1900's, He was very interested in the "1908 New York to Paris Race" in which the United States team won the race. George Schuster drove a 1907 Thomas Flyer. Edwards loosely based the film on the Greatest Auto Race. I don't believe there were any women in the actual race.

Ken Annakin, director of "Those Magnificent Men In Their Flying Machines, had been interested in aviation from an early age when he was taken for a ride in a biplane. During World War II, Annakin had served in the Royal Air Force when he began his career in film documentaries. He always wanted to make an aviation movie and I guess this was the right era.