Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Casting errors you can fix

Emgee66

How often do you watch a movie and think: "they should have given that role to X.!"

In my case, fairly often, even if the actor/actress in question is great in other roles.

A few days ago i was watching "Whirpool" (1949) and felt Richard Conte just wasn't convincing as a high society shrink.

I love him as a gangster, but here he was out of place, if competent enough.

Instead an actor like Paul Henreid would have been more up to the task.

So my question to you: who was miscast in what role and who should have done it?

Edited by: Emgee66 on Aug 20, 2013 8:38 AM

One of my favorite films, *Out of Africa*, which has my favorite *Meryl Streep* performance, comes to mind. Everyone is so good in that film. Streep gets Isak Dineson's Danish accent just right; most of the cast is English, playing English people. *Michael Kitchen*, better known to Americans as Foyle in Foyle's War, gives a subtle performance of great beauty.

But -- *Robert Redford* is miscast and out of place, playing one of the most romantic English characters (Denys Finch Hatton, based on a historical figure) with his normal, American accent. *Ralph Fiennes* would have been brilliant in the role but was too young and unknown at the time. But surely they could have found an English actor.

If they simply had to cast Redford -- a great friend and frequent collaborator to director Sydney Pollack -- then they not should have bothered to get a cast of great British actors. They could have had Americans playing English without accents, and Streep and Brandauer setting themselves apart with Danish accents.

I had reason to mention this example recently in another context. David Niven, in Guns of Navarone, portrayed an enlisted soldier, a Corporal, and demolitions expert. He made no effort to sound like a member of the rank-and-file class, but continued to use the aristocratic accents of his own background. -- A Sandhurst graduate, UK equilivent of a West Pointer. Marlon Brando's memoirs mentioned this habit of Nivin's -- never to talk "below his station'; Brando did not respect that.

For a better casting choice, Ronald Fraser comes to mind immediately. Kevin Whatley, Brit TV's "Inspector Lewis" -- now with his own series after serving as sidekick to "Inspector Morse" -- would also be a good choice. For modern remake -- Tim Roth, hands down.

Two miscast musicals come to mind

1) *GUYS AND DOLLS* should have been Sinatra as SKY, not Nathan; an actual singer as Sarah (I propose Jane Powell); and a actual comedian as Nathan (I propose Danny Kaye)

2) Mitzi Gaynor can't act, so Doris Day should have been in *SOUTH PACIFIC* instead

• 8 months later...

My choice would be...."THE KILLERS" (1964)

Ronald Reagan ("Browning")" was miscast as a gangster. His roles were usually the "nice guy" type. George Raft should have gotten the role, because of his experience at portraying criminals.  

Odd choice I know, but what can I say.

:)

Gipper- George Raft would have been 70 years old in 1964. He would have been too old for the role. RR was 53 in 1964. He was age appropriate for the role, at least more so than Raft,besides that's called casting against type. Nothing wrong with that. If you want to recast try an actor who's a little younger than Raft.

Lavenderblue....

Rethinking this, perhaps Jack Palance would have been a better choice in "THE KILLERS" than Ronald Reagan, or if the film had been made in the 1930's or 40's then maybe George Raft. 

:)

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings