Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Tell me this, Maggie Smith

slaytonf

So why, on a day of Maggie Smith movies is Alfred the Great playing? She doesn't seem to be in it. Did she have a cameo?

Also, I'm looking forward to The Honey Pot. She and Rex Harrison are delightful. Its also nice to see Susan Hayward. I'd like to say something nice about Cliff Robertson, but his part was pretty plain.

I've never seen Othello. I'm interested in what Olivier did with him.

I liked very much her performances in: *Hot Millions* (1968), *Murder by Death* (1976) and *Better Late Than Never* (1983) which are not airing.

I believe the programmers missed an excellent opportunity as her performance as Professor Minerva McGonagall in: *Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone* (2001) would have been the catalyst for quite lively discussions on this board. :)

I don't think they're showing Alfred the Great, It's a short (six minutes or so) to go with the English films of the day. I'm always glad to see The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie. I remember watching the Oscars that year, hoping Smith would win but thinking the best performance never wins. But it did!

I recently saw Maggie Smith's son (Toby Stephens) in Private Lives in London -- he's a great actor.

Although this sounds like a short, TCM often does this to fill up time (probably better rental rates too) A star will have a small part in a film or even a cameo. I remember last year on Lillian Gish day they showed Intolerance and she's barely in it...........It filled up a lot of time.........

Does anyone remember "The Lonely Passion of Judith Hearne?" I've always felt that this was one of her greatest performances, and yet she didn't even receive an Oscar nomination for itl. That was the year that Cher won the Best Actress Oscar! She is so magnificent in this movie. I don't think it did well at the box office.

Terrence.

He's a very nice looking chap. I also saw him play Coriolanus with the Royal Shakespeare Company. He was the best I've ever seen, and I've also seen Ian McKellen, Alan Howard, Charles Dance, and Greg Hicks do the role on stage. Stephens is also excellent in a high class but trashy dramatization of Mary Wesley's The Chamomile Lawn and in The Cambridge Spies, in which he plays Kim Philby.

Yes, I vaguely remember it. I've never seen it. I dont think it did well. She's given many Oscar worthy performances that never got nominations. She got passed over last year for both Quartet and Exotic Marigold Hotel.....

Which made him an odd choice to play Rochester in a TV production of Jane Eyre a few years ago. His frequent references to his homeliness were ridiculous.

I almost couldn't suspend disbelief enough on that one, although the wig was pretty bad. I thought he did an amazing job of conveying a blind man toward the end. He's quite a remarkable actor.

I've seen him in several British movies, one in which he was nude. All the way nude, along with (and this shocked me!) Jennifer Ehle, who played Lizzie in "Pride and Prejudice" with Colin Firth. Ehle was nude, too. Interesting picture. Quite a leap from Lizzie to an upper-middle-class English girl gamboling with a good-looking young guy, without a blush.

Hi,

She's the best thing, besides Margaret Rutherford, in "The V.I.P.'s"...

The ever efficient secretary, secretly in love with Rod Taylor and then going to Richard Burton and asking for money.....

Understated performance - and brilliant...

Larry

Larry wrote:

She's the best thing, besides Margaret Rutherford, in "The V.I.P.'s"...

The ever efficient secretary, secretly in love with Rod Taylor and then going to Richard Burton and asking for money.....

Understated performance - and brilliant...

:) I'd been wanting to see this again for the very reasons you listed but it was always on at bad time for me. What a delight to wake up to it yesterday morning and find I enjoyed it as much as I originally had!

This really was an adult romance. Both Paul and Mark loved Frances and she them but one man had to lose. Paul's face when he becomes the odd man out is heartbreaking especially when you doubt that Paul and Frances can really make their marriage work. This stays with you after the film ends.

I watched *Young Cassidy* yesterday. I thought the young Maggie Smith was great as O'Casey's girlfriend. Good film, I particularly liked Edith Evans as Lady Gregory and Michael Redgrave as W.B. Yeats. Rod Taylor in the O'Casey role? I'm not sure.

I found it interesting that, unless I missed it, they didn't make the point that O'Casey -- and Yeats -- (like almost all of the really big name Irish playwrights) were Protestant, and that the political issues back then transcended religion. But maybe by not mentioning it, they did make the point.

Toby Stephens also was a top-notch Bond villain as Sir Gustav Graves opposite Pierce Brosnan's 007 in "Die Another Day" (2002).

Speaking of Bond, I was amused to find out that two of the supporting characters in "Nowhere to Go" (Maggie Smith's film debut in 1959) were played by Bernard Lee (M) and Geoffrey Keen (Sir Frederick Gray, the Minister of Defence)!

Edited by: jakeem on Aug 24, 2013 5:30 PM

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings