Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Bombardier & Cariboo Trail was cut short

jimmydee

I wonder if he recorded them on a DVR and the DVR shut off too soon if the films ran overtime?

--------------------------------------------

I just checked, and some of those films were in a pretty tight time slot last night.

One was a 99 minute film in a 105 minute time slot. Leaving just six minutes for the start and end promos. So, his recorder might have shut off before the film finished.

If a film finishes late, that time problem carries over into the next film's time slot too.

Edited by: FredCDobbs on Aug 20, 2013 4:18 PM

On Bombardier just before Eddie Albert fell out of the plane the movie jumped to where Scott was captured by the japs. The same thing happened in Cariboo Trail after the fight scene the movie jumped ahead to Scott meeting his old friend who had 1 arm. It could have been my DVR but there was no blank spot between the break.

FredCDobbs wrote:

I wonder if he recorded them on a DVR and the DVR shut off too soon if the films ran overtime?

That's the likely culprit. I use a DVD recorder, not a DVR. If I had the latter, I'd only fill it up and then have to start deleting to make more room. This way, I'm building up a pile of DVDs for when I pull the plug on the cable.

And that day is coming soon.

>This way, I'm building up a pile of DVDs for when I pull the plug on the cable.

>

>And that day is coming soon.

I pay about $15 a month for my basic computer ISP, which is basic dial-up.

However, last December I signed up for high-speed internet, 1.5 Meg, and that costs me $28 additional with the phone company. This is a DSL service that works on my regular telephone copper wires. This is not the highest speed available, but it is plenty to show full movies over the internet with no stop-and-go problems.

So, this is like having cable for $28 a month, and the internet has much more that I want than cable TV does. I can watch live news broadcasts, live CSPAN broadcasts, foreign broadcasts, all kinds of documentaries, and hundreds of old movies and foreign films on YouTube, Archives.org, and other websites. The internet now has MORE history documentaries than the History Channel, more live news broadcasts than cable TV (because most cities have TV stations that run live streaming video when anything really big is going on, and daily live newscasts).

I'm trying now to figure out how to hook up my computer downloads to my LCD HD TV and how to run a cable into my bedroom too.

FredCDobbs said:

I'm trying now to figure out how to hook up my computer downloads to my LCD HD TV and how to run a cable into my bedroom too.

I have a TV with a built-in USB socket so I can plug-in a flash drive and stretch out on the couch to enjoy them. It also has wireless access and a browser, so I can just go to Netflix, Amazon, Hulu or Archive.Org directly. Yes, it costs a bit more for those added goodies, but I waited to get it at the price I wanted and patience got me a 45% discount at a one-day Amazon sale.

My internet costs me 50 per month, but it's high speed so I've no problems with streaming. I've been using Netflix for the last week - that will be 8 bucks per month. Eventually I'll also go for Amazon Prime which costs 80 per year and also provides me with free two-day delivery on anything that I order.

That alone will practically pay for the service with all that I get from Amazon.

Ditching cable will save me over 100 bucks a month.

>FCDobbs:

>I'm trying now to figure out how to hook up my computer downloads to my LCD HD TV

All you need to do is set up your TV as a computer monitor. I went to my local Big Box electronics store (Fry's), and they showed me the adaptors and cables to use.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings