Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

William Holden Day

twister

Looking forward to the William Holden day of films today on TCM. I was wondering why they don't show his 2 best films - Sunset Boulevard, and Stalag 17? There are some other films I wish they would have shown - like Bridge over Toko-Ri and Network and Golden Boy (although I've seen Golden Boy on TCM before). I think Holden had a great voice and was so handsome. Wow.

William Holden fans need to keep an eye out for THE SEVENTH DAWN, which was postponed earlier and will be shown in October or November. This fine drama, set in Malaya after WWII, is one of his best 1960s films. Holden's best friend, who fights with him against the Japanese, becomes a Communist insurgent. Capucine and Susannah York also have prominent roles in the movie.

It's a little odd that some of Holden's best-known films aren't being shown--some would have to be leased from Paramount/Universal--but it's a chance to explore some of his other films.

I think that anytime there is a tribute day to a star its good to dig up some of the star's "lesser known" or "hardly ever seen" films. The big time movies like Sunset Blvd, Stalag 17, Picnic, River Kwai, etc get shown on a regular basis so use the opportunity to air the other films that show the full extent of the actor's career. (I have stated on several threads here that *Bridges At Toko Ri* is my favorite Bill Holden film).

I caught the end of the movie with him and Lucille Ball that was aired this morning.

It made me think of the episode of I LOVE LUCY where William Holden (as himself) met starstruck Lucy Ricardo when she visited Hollywood. It's the episode where she caught her disguise nose on fire.

I wish there was a "William Holden" day every day. This man was stunningly handsome. As for comedy, too bad he didn't give himself credit for doing comedy so well. That "I Love Lucy" episode was the funniest episode of all. Holden was quite funny in it. I've seen him in other comedic films - he did it terrific. He can really deadpan well with great expressions.

Has anyone ever seen a film called "Dark Past" from the late 1940's? I think it had Lee J. Cobb in it as well. It might have been shown at some point on TCM. Wish they would show it again. It was a good film from what I recall.

Anyhow, William Holden was one of the greatest actors and best looking, at least in my book.

I think William Holden is a great actor. I wish they were playing Sunset Boulevard today it is such a fantastic film and I think William Holden's performance was excellent. Also I enjoyed watching his performance in the film Sabrina. I am looking forward to seeing him in The Bridge on the River Kwai. Also really want to see him in the film Stalag 17 since I heard it was a really good film and William Holden is great in it too.

While I have a lot of respect for Holden as an actor, Fred is correct that the Holden movies TCM is showing today are what he calls re-treads. i.e. they have been shown many times in the last year or so. Sunset Blvd is one of the greatest movies of all time but TCM shows it a lot.

The Holden movies on today that I hadn't seen before where the first two and since I'm on the west coast they were on way too early for me to watch.

Oh, well can't win them all!

Thanks for the heads-up about The Seventh Dawn. When I was sightseeing at the Tower of London in 1964, I noticed Tetsuro Tamba standing in line in front of me with a group of people from the movie. They were there looping dialogue for the picture. We spent the afternoon chatting about the tower and English history. He was surprisingly fluent in English and a very polite, gentlemanly man. I think I've only seen the picture once. It will be great if they run it again.

I remember we talked about a Japanese ghost story called "Hoichi the Earless," and a year or so later we saw him in the anthology "Kwaidan," playing the ghost who tears off Hoichi's ears.

FlyBack, from what I have read Holden didn't want the ending of Bridges At Toko Ri altered. In real life Holden had a brother who was a pilot and he died in WW2. So Holden wanted the reality of war to be shown, sometimes the good guys don't make it back. The realities of war are very central to Holden's character and the whole storyline. That's what I like about the film and Holden plays his character very well.

Two of Holden's later films were comedies. "Paris When it Sizzles" was supposed to be a light hearted romantic romp, but I thought it fell flat.

"S.O.B." was quite funny and Holden was actually touching in some scenes. The body snatching and Viking funeral are highlights.

And probably why we've never noticed FredCDobbs voice nary a complaint about Bogie's work in that movie about a search for gold in the mountains of northern Mexico, huh finance! ;)

(...we just let him complain about the movies TCM shows and that were made after Louis B. Mayer bit the dust, that's all!)

LOL

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings